moondimple wrote:
TheLadyL wrote: I fully understand about de-cluttering your surroundings ....but has anybody consider de-cluttering your mind? Maybe that is not the word to use. Maybe we need to just reorganize our thoughts. Put them in order from needed to just bits of information. I have so much information I am required to know on a daily basis that at times, I lose all information and flounder. I have learned to keep what is needed and to lose what is not. If I forget the number to the baker I use once a year...its kept safe for me on the net or shall I dare say it in the phonebook. :) It is an interesting concept to de-clutter the mind.
Laurie

my sentiments exactly!

This reminds me of a quote from Albert Einstein who didn't believe in filling his mind with information he could look up. However, not all of us have this choice as we often remember things we would rather forget! :)
de- cluttering, hhmm funny that i do have this problem anymore. After i was diagnosed with MND, i decided to pack up and live my dream life, which involved some travelling.  The hardest thing was to decide to offload, since then i have never looked back. Because i only buy what i use, basic and minimal, there is no clutter. Presents are returned back, i know it is mean, but it would be selfish for me to hold on to something i never use. So if there is a birthday or celebration, we share food and laughter. Life is so much easier and lighter. Those of you who are afraid to let go, please try it. :)
Wonderful Blackbird! I too live the same way. It is freedom like no other. I can just leave and not look back. I have nothing that I need to drag with me. And food, conversations, and friends are all the presents I will ever need.
Laurie
Hi Laurie, The only things that i need now are identification documents, so even if was to loose them i could always request replacements. I know that one should not glorify an illness, but it did make me choose the life that i've always dreamed of. With non - attachment come a sense of freedom that is priceless.
Best wishes
Marie 
What a lovely post, as I sit here among my clutter.  :lol:

God must look down at us and say "look at those stupid people, buying a big box called a "house" and storing all that useless junk in it"

Wow, you all make me think!

Currently I'm getting my home ready to sell.  This advice is great!  I've been practically hyperventilating at all the "stuff" I've collected over many years.  I think we spend the first half of our lives collecting stuff, and the second half tossing it out!  deb   :?   :lol:  There was an edit sign by my post.  I don't know why.  
Hmmm....odd, but those same questions could be applied to a girlfriend! LOL :mrgreen:
Jessy wrote: I declutter regularly.  I hate stuff around that I don't use.  Some of us get this way as we get older because we don't want to leave a mess behind if we happen to exit..... :lol:

I agree Jessy decluttering when we get older should always be a constant task. I use to go frequently to garage sales....but no more because I do not want to bring anything into the house. I do not want my daughter tidying up after me when I am gone!
debmarie wrote: Currently I'm getting my home ready to sell.  This advice is great!  I've been practically hyperventilating at all the "stuff" I've collected over many years.  I think we spend the first half of our lives collecting stuff, and the second half tossing it out!  deb   :?   :lol:  There was an edit sign by my post.  I don't know why.  

I like what you said the first half of our lives collecting the stuff and the second half getting rid of it. This is basically what we do. When we are older, we don't feel the need to keep it any longer. I also avoid garage sales so that I do not bring anything new into the home. Good luck in your moving! Perhaps your settled in by now.
I love my yearly trip to Goodwill with a pickup truck full of things that need to find a new home. This year will be a huge dining table with 6 chairs I don't need anymore. Its way too big for my kitchen and now that my house is empty again, I don't need that much butt space. I'm sure there will be more things to donate after I get my storage barn opened and "my" stuff in the house again. Change is exciting....
I love garage sale......I bring things in and take others out. Replacement sort of......I like change.
Sweetiepie22 wrote:
debmarie wrote: Currently I'm getting my home ready to sell.  This advice is great!  I've been practically hyperventilating at all the "stuff" I've collected over many years.  I think we spend the first half of our lives collecting stuff, and the second half tossing it out!  deb   :?   :lol:  There was an edit sign by my post.  I don't know why.  

I like what you said the first half of our lives collecting the stuff and the second half getting rid of it. This is basically what we do. When we are older, we don't feel the need to keep it any longer. I also avoid garage sales so that I do not bring anything new into the home. Good luck in your moving! Perhaps your settled in by now.

Yes - so true . I've been on a de-cluttering spree this week - if I don't need it I am donating it. We have boot sales here in the UK - must avoid them too - it's easy to talk yourself into buying something you really just don't need. Some of those Hoarding programs on tv are so sad - i'm not that bad yet! I have developed will power when shopping - just need to make sure i de-clutter everyday. Once a hoarder always a hoarder - it's a constant effort to keep everywhere tidy. But it's worth it. You're worth it :)
very excellent questions .. am doing a renovation so de-cluttering/purging is perfect at this time ... ..