1) Do I use it regularly?
2) If no, do I love it?
3) Am I keeping it out of obligation?
4) Do I think I should love it?
5) Am I keeping it "just in case"?
6) Do I have several of these?
7) Can something else I own do this?
8) Am I holding on to it to fix one day? 
9) Is it worth time cleaning/storing it?
10) Can I use this space for something else?

Now that Spring is almost around the corner....its a good time to de-clutter. Although I would have to admit I am guilty of this sin called "clutter". I have some insecurities that maybe one day I will need the item so question no. 5 can best fit my dilemma.
Sweetiepie22 wrote: 1) Do I use it regularly?
2) If no, do I love it?

Now that Spring is almost around the corner....its a good time to de-clutter. Although I would have to admit I am guilty of this sin called "clutter". I have some insecurities that maybe one day I will need the item so question no. 5 can best fit my dilemma.

Great questions and as people age decluttering is important to keep a safe home.
Yes, good questions. I'm a 3 and 5 for sure. sigh.....
Thank you Alaiyna and Seashells for commenting. We are all guilty of keeping "stuff" easy to buy but when it's time to part with them not so easy.
I was told a long time ago that if I didnt use an item in a year to pass it on. I have held to that thought for a long time. I still have to go through things. I do not understand how they appear or who brings them..lol But I have noticed, that when given out, most are put to good use and are cherished. I tell my family and friends, if what I give you is of no use..pass it on. Sooner or later somebody will get the item and will be able to use it. It is wonderful to think that what I couldnt use found a forever home and will be cherished.
Laurie
We don't only find ourselves with clothing...we seem to collect alot of other things and find it most difficult to part with them; because we put a sentimental value to them. For clothes, I am guilty of saying I will lose the weight and wear the outfit but it never happens....just taking up space in the closet.

Some things are just very hard to part with....its as though your throwing apart of yourself away. How do we rid ourselves of this guilt? We ask ourselves is this normal behavior?

I know growing up I never had very much as I was from a large family and received "hand-me-downs" so it was easy to recycle my clothing. When finished growing out of the clothes on it went to the younger ones. It was when I was out on my own that I noticed an increase in stuff, buying, receiving heirlooms ...then had my own family and all the kids stuff.

Daughter still lays the guilt on me to keep her personal belongings while in the meantime she is away from the home.....how do you have the heart to throw it out!
I fully understand about de-cluttering your surroundings ....but has anybody consider de-cluttering your mind? Maybe that is not the word to use. Maybe we need to just reorganize our thoughts. Put them in order from needed to just bits of information. I have so much information I am required to know on a daily basis that at times, I lose all information and flounder. I have learned to keep what is needed and to lose what is not. If I forget the number to the baker I use once a year...its kept safe for me on the net or shall I dare say it in the phonebook. :) It is an interesting concept to de-clutter the mind.
Laurie
Great questions Sweetipie!!! As spring approaches, many of us are thinking about spring cleaning. Are you going through your possessions and thinking about what you can get rid of?

1. Get a welcome mat with a positive message. Let visitors know that they are entering a positive space.
2. Don’t leave your dirty shoes in the hallway. Put them away and out of sight. In fact, you don’t want anything cluttering the entrance to your home.
3. Paint your walls in calming colors.
4. Get rid of clutter. Don’t just put it in a drawer or in a box so that it is out of sight. Go through it all and donate or trash what you don’t need.
5. Give you home a good cleaning. Dust everything, polish your floors and wash your windows.
6. Rearrange your furniture, especially if it has been in the same spot for years. Good spring cleaning!!!
Chokko wrote: Great questions Sweetipie!!! As spring approaches, many of us are thinking about spring cleaning. Are you going through your possessions and thinking about what you can get rid of?

1. Get a welcome mat with a positive message. Let visitors know that they are entering a positive space.
2. Don’t leave your dirty shoes in the hallway. Put them away and out of sight. In fact, you don’t want anything cluttering the entrance to your home.
3. Paint your walls in calming colors.
4. Get rid of clutter. Don’t just put it in a drawer or in a box so that it is out of sight. Go through it all and donate or trash what you don’t need.
5. Give you home a good cleaning. Dust everything, polish your floors and wash your windows.
6. Rearrange your furniture, especially if it has been in the same spot for years. Good spring cleaning!!!

Thank you Chokko.....see what the internet can create for us.....but all the questions....are really what happens with all of us. We hold on to things because we always feel we will use them at a later date .....:) but we don't. I try to make my home as comfortable as possible. I do not know if anyone is really clutter free because like I mentioned in one of my posts if one throws away something they truly desire then they will ponder over and over in their mind.....why did I get rid of it and chances are it will be bought again. I will be real sure before I give or throw away. I like your post too!
Right... all the questions are what happens to me. I agree I hold on to things because I feel I will use them at a later date but I don't. I do it too ... :)
There's only 1 question I need to ask myself WHY???

In my whole short lifespan, I haven't found any reason to declutter. It took a long time to gather, it's me and I love every last little bit of it!
Excellent answer !!!!!!!
Laurie
Sweetiepie22 wrote: 1) Do I use it regularly?
2) If no, do I love it?

I declutter regularly.  I hate stuff around that I don't use.  Some of us get this way as we get older because we don't want to leave a mess behind if we happen to exit..... :lol:
TheLadyL wrote: I fully understand about de-cluttering your surroundings ....but has anybody consider de-cluttering your mind? Maybe that is not the word to use. Maybe we need to just reorganize our thoughts. Put them in order from needed to just bits of information. I have so much information I am required to know on a daily basis that at times, I lose all information and flounder. I have learned to keep what is needed and to lose what is not. If I forget the number to the baker I use once a year...its kept safe for me on the net or shall I dare say it in the phonebook. :) It is an interesting concept to de-clutter the mind.
Laurie

my sentiments exactly!