Someone post a request for a deaf dictionary, it is a humor really... or at least I see it as a humor..... but in other words for "Deaf dictionary" would be an A.S.L. interpreter :wink: is there anyone in here that is an A.S.L. interpreter? :mrgreen:
Not professionally but I know ASL and have translated for people before.

:wink: you will do,
Finger spelling
http://www.signingsavvy.com/sign/MERRY%20CHRISTMAS/5183/fingerspell

This one saying Happy Christmas... Merry = Happy
http://www.signingsavvy.com/sign/MERRY%20CHRISTMAS/5183/1

We use that sign "Merry" for happy, so that why I mention Merry =Happy"
Hi DF, I was always under the impression that with the American system, one didn't have to spell out each letter of the word. I have seen the alphabet before, and have always thought how cumbersome and lengthy it would be just to say a sentence.

Am I misinformed here?
Try this candle
http://www.signingsavvy.com/sign/MERRY% ... ingerspell

Not all words have signs.. for example, your name, we have to spell it out until we know who you are then we can come up with a signing name.
Does this help candlefish? Yes I can sign Candlefish lol... another example is Jack rabbit, there is a sign for rabbit but we have to spell jack then sign rabbit.

AND the alphabet is useful because if we don't know the sign for that word, then you can spell it out. As .. what I call a dialect in A.S.L. is that clear things for you? Another good example is the name of your city,town, hamlet, there isn't always a sign for that, yes Calgary has a sign but Airdrie don't, usually the Major cities has signs and yes all province of Canada has a signs for each one.

Then try this
http://www.signingsavvy.com/sign/MERRY%20CHRISTMAS/5183/1

Yup I can come up with a signing name for DaddyFish... :D

So when we are signing, it not all finger spelling, but there are some finger spelling when we are signing.
Just rememberd... A.S.L. and S.E.E. .. and some do prefer just finger spelling... but let me tell ya, it like reading some of the forum entries... long and tiny, I can't be bother to follow just all finger spelling, to much thinking lol. So it depends on each individuals on how they prefer, so when we ask for an interpreter, we have to be specific on which one we want.
Candlefish wrote: Hi DF, I was always under the impression that with the American system, one didn't have to spell out each letter of the word. I have seen the alphabet before, and have always thought how cumbersome and lengthy it would be just to say a sentence.

Am I misinformed here?

No you're not>>> ASL is often referred to as finger spelling, whereas there are also "full words" like face and love... but I don't know many of them.
Daisy, did you notice at the beginning of my post? I addressed it Daddyfish. I have just finished a long dragged out session of trying to explain other things on other subjects to you on another thread. You might think I like such arguments...I don't!

You have me blocked from your posts, that doesn't bother me, but I don't do the blocking thing, too childish. But I'm here to tell you now, don't offer advice to me or answer any of my posts, I want nothing to do with you. You're nothing but an intemperate, argumentative religious zealot that, quite frankly, gives me a headache; this, in spite of your frailties.
WOW. candle you don't hold any punches back, x
No I don't, so watch it Blondie.....lol :lol: lol
:lol:   I can take it  lol x
:lol:

Mort, if you have a pony tail or pig tails back there, he will dip them in the
ink well.   I think he did it to me in the 2nd grade and my mum was flipping mad.  x
You went to school with him ?   if he dip my pony tail in a ink well I would kick where it hurts   :lol:
Candlefish wrote: Daisy, did you notice at the beginning of my post? I addressed it Daddyfish. I have just finished a long dragged out session of trying to explain other things on other subjects to you on another thread. You might think I like such arguments...I don't!

You have me blocked from your posts, that doesn't bother me, but I don't do the blocking thing, too childish. But I'm here to tell you now, don't offer advice to me or answer any of my posts, I want nothing to do with you. You're nothing but an intemperate, argumentative religious zealot that, quite frankly, gives me a headache; this, in spite of your frailties.

Irrpairable damage to the form is just this