Hi Goldengloss... I close my eyes and imagine walking through your garden.. smelling the delicate fragrance of all those magnificiant flowers... it is so relaxing. Thank you I sure wish I was there... here in my part of the world the weather is putting nature to sleep for the winter months... no more colorful scenery. Now we must wait until spring until everything awakens once again.

Take care dear friend... my thoughts are with you.. have a great day! :wink:
We have a blanket of snow right now but when the time is right I will enjoy getting back to it .I live in a seniors apt. building so it is ideal for perrienials.We do small amounts of veg. like parnips, corn and tomatoes .its fun to watch them grow .
I started my tomatoes & tobacco Friday.
I love growing flowers and my sunflowers this year were beautiful .also was ablt to give some of my extra plants to my daughter for her new house .
I love Summer.joy-denchi.
I started a garden project which includes shaping and treating my lawn. Then I have multiple flower seeds to germinate. Hopefully warm temps will return so I can time them right for planting! I have several flower beds and I plan to put in some Rhodies and Azaleas to add some nice edges.
Update on my garden plan:  added a blue hydrangea that is blooming like crazy! Also I put in a eunemous (sp?)  and a beautiful butterfly bush. I have sprouts coming up from flower seeds and am excited to see what they will turn out to be!  I added some colorful perennials and annuals to the front and side beds and also to the waterfall. It's coming together and all I need is the sun to return!

Started on my garden now ive finished the inside , trouble is the weather isnt very good at the moment :roll: , oh & ive hurt my wrist Carpal tunnel syndrome self diagnosed though just my luck NOT :(
I started a rock garden in a lesser used flower bed. Placed rocks around in a circular pattern and planted Japanese spurge between. Pleased with the results!
Planted tall purple salvia, yellow coreopsis and colorful phlox in another bed. Looking so pretty this month!!
You betcha!  Hi, Cherokeekitten, I'm BandBGirl.  I live on a 10 acre parcel of land about three acres of which are house, lawn, orchard and garden.  I've been suffering a lot of arthritis over the past few years and found I couldn't bend down to weed and cultivate any more.  I was reluctant to give up my veggie patch though and a neighbour told me about an article he'd read in Recyle Magazine.  That involved using old discarded chest-style deep freezers to make raised beds.  What a wonderful idea this is and I've taken it and run with it.  You take out the compressor and punch a few holes in the bottom of the freezer for drainage.  Then you fill the bottom with rock or gravel to a depth of about 12" to 18".  Put a 1" layer of newspaper over the rock or you can use landscaping fabric.  Either way works to keep the soil from filtering down through the rock and getting washed away.  Then mix up some topsoil with manure, peat moss and a little bone meal and fill the container up to the top.  (I borrowed a small electric cement mixer from a neighbour in order to thoroughly mix the soil.)  Water it down to compact the soil a bit and add more if necessary.  Then, presto!, you have a raised bed where everything is at waist height and there will be no weeds to speak of except whatever seeds from windblown stuff.  Due to the insulation in the walls of the freezers you'll find you can harvest vegetables right through into mid-October.  I've been doing this for five years now and at present I have eight (!) old freezers in use and two wringer washers.  I grow herbs in one, strawberries in another and the others contain tomatoes, cukes, peas, beans, lettuce, spinach, radishes, carrots and miniature melons.  The wringer washers aren't insulated so I use them strictly for onions.  These containers look terrible - makes the garden look like a junk yard - but I'm planning on painting them all a nice earthy red-brown colour when I have a windless day to do it.  This is a great way to garden with less effort and it also takes something truly ugly out of the landfill.  I can't thank my neighbour enough for having put me onto this idea.  Even if you don't try this, pass the idea along to others.  It really does work.
All the best, BandBGirl.      
HenryK wrote: I have mostly perennial (or re-seeding annual) garden.

In my area of Canada, Southern Alberta, the weather is dry, windy, and shifts 20C (38F) in an hour.

This spring has been mild, and the scilla are blooming (small purple early flowers) in the sunny part of the backyard. The dirt on the shady side of the backyard is rock hard.

Henry

Well it's nice to see a guy into gardening especially perennials. I am an avid perennial fanatic here in saskatchewan, so I know what your talking about varying temperatures. It's unfortunate I had to leave it all behind with the ex when I left, but I have 2 big boxes of perennial seeds which I've harvested and kept. The guys threatened to throw them out when we were packing for a move and I told them over my dead body. I put in a lot of sweat & tears harvesting those seeds.
jon1954 wrote: Started on my garden now ive finished the inside , trouble is the weather isnt very good at the moment :roll: , oh & ive hurt my wrist Carpal tunnel syndrome self diagnosed though just my luck NOT :(

well press on, maybe on the computer or something too much... my physio therapist helped me with mine so it no longer bothers me. My problem was driving a lot. I am a school bus driver and was for awhile driving back & forth from the country to the city to work. I now live in the city. So it has all worked out for the best.
I find that gardening is one of the greatest therapy for anyone, with problem of any sort or even if you are healthy. I enjoy doing mine but I need to catch up on the weeding after the heavy rain fall we had, can't find a darn thing for weeds lol
I have the usual vegetable garden and always like to find new things to try. I have a greenhouse that I built for my tomatoes. Some years haven't been real hot during the summer nights here, so I get the tomatoes in the ground as as soon as I can using a heater to keep the greenhouse warm at night. I start my tomatoes, I have been growing Beefmaster now and am hooked on them. If you do a lot of canning these are one to try! The tomatoes are between 1 - 2 pounds each, the plants grow to over 6 feet and need lots of staking since they grow out of the cage really fast. I have lots of fruit, rhubarb, strawberries, black currants, grapes, Saskatoon berries, blueberries, raspberries, Juliet and another cherry, nanking cherry, sand cherry, apples, I found a couple goji berries last year and planted them, am still waiting to get a crop from my plums and pears, I have a gooseberry but it has been a bust, it starts out really nice in the spring but only has a few berries, maybe its the climate here, not sure. I also have a couple flower beds with quite a few different lilies, more than 20 lol. I have gotten a couple roses. I still do some pots and I still love my pansies, because with the weather here in Saskatchewan they are the first and last thing that will grow here during the season. Yes I love to garden, lol.
Weeble, just curious, what kind of tobacco do you grow? I have tried a couple different kinds but haven't had much luck.
I am currently running a hydroponic system at a local community greenhouse, growing hot peppers in a dutch bucket system not doing great because of the lack of day light and the greenhouse is only heated to about 65 degrees, I hope by the middle of march or when the temp gets above 0(ontario), which ever comes first, i am going to start running a verticle hydroponic strawberry tower system.