The easiest way to try making Sauerkraut is to buy the packages of ready cut coleslaw in the produce department and use a wide mouth quart canning jar. You will need two pounds of cabbage. and a heaping tablespoon of rock salt. Do not use free flowing or iodized salt. Free flowing has aluminum in it and iodized turns black. The best sauerkraut is mad from Cabbage fresh out of the garden and made with winter keeper cabbage, it has tight heads. Early cabbage is loose and used for cabbage rolls only. 

There was a comment in chat about early experiences dictating our personality and future.  I remember before supermarkets became popular going with my mother and grandmother to a farm to pick beans and get other produce to can. I was just a toddler but the farm bug stuck. It took a long time to get my farm. I remember my mothers garden had poppies and dill spread all through it. Dill and marigolds mask the smell of plants so bugs can't find them. Wood ashes kill root maggots and slugs. Scarlet runner beans attract bees and humming birds. If you watch humming birds closely you will see them catch mosquitoes. Tiger lilies are a good flower for them. You can eat them so grow lots. Open they are good in salad or soup, but before they open they can be dipped in fondue. They are very sweet. My whole life has been controlled by a need to be self sufficient. And you have to do something with the produce so you learn to cook and bake. You also learn what to do with a whole cow instead of just the odd roast and steak from the supermarket to go with your over processed canned food. God bless deepfreezes, frozen food is better than canned. My grandmother would have been in her glory with a deepfreeze. I remember her canning fish on a coal fired wood stove. 

I'm hoping a lot more people will contribute to this forum. We can learn from each other, not just cooking. 
                            Refrigerator bran Muffins

3 cups brown sugar     5 cups flour                  1 cup cooking oil

2 cups raisins             1 quart buttermilk          4 cups bran flakes        

1 tsp salt                    3 tbsp baking soda        2 cups bran

4 eggs                        2 cups boiling water 

Pour boiling water over bran and let sit till cool.  Mix all other ingredients together in an ice-cream pail.
Add cold bran mixture.  Mix until well blended.  Place covered in the refrigerator.  You can use the batter right away but it's better to let it sit for 12 hrs.  Bake as needed.  400 degrees for 15-20 mins.  Batter does not have to all be used at once as it will keep up to 6 weeks. 
bebeth wrote: This is my mother's own recipe for Baked Rice Pudding. I get hungry just thinking about it.

Wash and rinse one cup of long grain rice, put in buttered baking dish.
Add one cup of water and one cup of whole milk.

Bake for one hour at about 350 or until you see all the liquid used up.

Mix one egg with a fork (in a bowl), add one heaping tablespoon of sugar and one cap of valilla.

Put it in with the rest of the stuff.

Then fill up to the top with milk, add dabs of butter on top.

Take out when most of the liquid is used up, depending on how juicy you like your rice pudding.

Another of my mom's recipe is baked macaroni and tomatoes.

Butter a baking dish.

Add cooked macaroni

Make a white cream sauce and add that to the dish.

Add some stewed tomatoes (as much as you want)

Add shredded chedder on top with dabs of butter.

Bake at about 350 - 400 until golden on top.

Don't over cook the macaroni or it will be too soft, take off the stove when it is ALMOST done.

You will love these two simple recipes from an old Scottish lass from Glasgow, Scotland. :D

[size=150]I FORGOT TO ADD RAISONS TO THE RICE PUDDING. THEY GO IN AT THE SAME TIME AS YOU ARE ADDING THE MILK TO THE TOP. MOM USED TO SOAK HER RAISINS THE NIGHT BEFORE SO THEY WOULD BE PLUMP.[/size]
Traditional oven rice pudding is better than stove top. I add a few grains of nutmeg and just enough cinnamon to know it is there. Cinnamon is one of those things you either use a lot or very little. Also traditionally it was made with left over rice. I prefer short grain rice. It is a bit bigger than sushi rice. This is the only white rice I use. 

Another rice dish is a combination of Basmati brown rice and a wild rice blend with a bit of garlic powder and honey. Garden peas go nice mixed in with this.

Before my brother was married he couldn't cook so he would boil macaroni and add a can of stewed tomatoes.  He called this Mickey Roonie. Hunger does make the best sauce. 

For those of you that camp rough (little equipment) you might  want to try planked fish. I always carried a couple of long shingle nails in my pack. split the fish but leave the skin and tail on it. Nail it skin side down to a piece of drift wood. Rub salt and pepper into it and prop it up beside the fire when the fire has burnt down to mostly coals. Throw a few small pieces of hardwood on the coals to make a bit of smoke.  The skin should keep it from falling in the fire. Serve with bannock and tea. Caribou moss is good for getting the ashes out of your tea. If you are traveling with a minimum you can use labrador tea. It is a low bush growing in wet spots where cranberries grow. 
When I was a child we would go on fish fries and stay overnight on the Island. I love that fish cooked on an open fire. We ate skin and tail also. YUM.
When I watch movies I have to laugh when I see a camp fire. None are ever right. If you are going to cook on a fire you make a long fire. You do this by raking coals to one side and putting fresh wood on the other. So your fire is rectangular or long. These red coals are what you cook on, not the smokey fire. A smokey fire is good for keeping the mosquitoes away. You know that under ideal conditions a chicken is going to take three hours in an oven. Much longer over a smokey fire. And turn black. Cut it up and skewer it on a green stick. as a bunch of pieces, cook this over your coals. Probably only take fifteen minutes. About as long as the potatoes in foil take in the coals. If you wrap your fish or potato in wet leaves in the foil it doesn't burn. Stick to birch or some non poisonous leaves like raspberry. 

Now here is something my brother makes, a city guy but even he can make a cooking fire.

They are called knuby  cones after the guy that invented them. You need a stick about the diameter of a broom handle and a can of Pillsbury biscuit dough. Wrap one biscuit around the stick to make a cone and bake it over the coals. It should be about two and a half inches long. Take it off the stick and fill with your favourite pie filling and top with spray whipped cream. You could just use your BBQ too. You could wrap the biscuit dough around half a cooked wiener still on the stick and bake it. These are called pigs in blankets. 

Thought I'd bump this to the top again in hopes someone else will add a recipe.  
Chicken And Spinach Manicotti

INGREDIENTS:
1 box manicotti
9 oz bag spinach
½ rotisserie chicken, meat removed from the bones and shredded or 1-1/2 cup chicken breast
1 egg
18 oz ricotta cheese
 ¾ c grated parmesan
1¼ cup shredded Italian blend cheese (or mozzarella), divided  
Alfredo sauce (or marinara both are quite good)
fresh parsley, for garnish

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven to 375. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; add the manicotti and cook until the pasta is al dente. Drain and set aside. In a small saute pan, cook the spinach in 1 T olive oil until wilted. Remove to a cutting board and roughly chop. In a mixing bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, ¾ italian blend cheese, shredded chicken, spinach, parmesan cheese and and egg. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag or a large Ziploc bag with the corner cut off (the hole needs to be large enough for the filling to pass through. Ladle alfredo or marinana sauce over the bottom of a 13 x 9 rectangular baking dish. Squeeze the filling into the manicotti tubes and arrange them side by side in the baking dish. Ladle additional sauce over the top of the pasta, and sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup of cheese. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool slightly, sprinkle with parsley, and serve.. You may substitute 1 lb. browned ground chuck instead of chicken if you like.

MARINARA: (This is my quick marinara not my overnight and all day crockpot sauce)

INGREDIENTS
1 28 ­ounce can whole San Marzano tomatoes or whatever you can get
¼ cup extra ­virgin olive oil
7 garlic cloves, peeled and slivered
Small dried whole chile, or pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 large fresh basil sprig
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, more to taste  
1/2 spoon of sugar if you like sweet sauce

PREPARATION

Step 1 Pour tomatoes into a large bowl and crush with your hands. Pour 1 cup water into can and slosh it around to get tomato juices. Reserve. Step 2 In a large skillet (do not use a deep pot) over medium heat, heat the oil. When it is hot, add garlic. Step 3 As soon as garlic is sizzling (do not let it brown), add the tomatoes, then the reserved tomato water. Add whole chile or red pepper flakes, oregano (if using) and salt. Stir. Step 4 Place basil sprig, including stem, on the surface (like a flower). Let it wilt, then submerge in sauce. Simmer sauce until thickened and oil on surface is a deep orange, about 15 minutes. (If using oregano, taste sauce after 10 minutes of simmering, adding more salt and oregano or sugar as needed.) Discard basil and chile before serving (if using).  You can sub Italian Seasoning for basil and oregano if you like. 
Danish Cucumber Salad

4 medium Cucumbers ½ cup White vinegar
¼ cup Sugar 2 Tbsp Chopped Fresh Dill
¼ tsp White Pepper

Slice cucumbers paper thin. In large bowl, mix cucumber with 2tsp salt. (let sit one hour)
Drain liquid from cucumbers, stir in vinegar, sugar, chopped dill, pepper and 1tsp salt. Mix thoroughly, cover and refrigerate for at 3 least 3 hours.

This salad was one of my grandmother's favorites, she was Finnish and loved to add crisp bacon to add some crunch to it.

Robert's Salad Dressing
This is a dressing that I have played with for years mixing combinations of herbs to see how the flavors meld together. This is the one that I have come to like the best. It is versatile as you can add different herbs to meet your particular tastes.

¾ cup Olive or Salad Oil (Olive is my preferrence)
¼ cup Cider or Wine Vinegar (Cider is my favorite but for nice coloring the wine vinegar is nice)
½ tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 clove Garlic crushed (I use 2 but I love garlic)
2 tsp Parsley chopped
½ tsp Tarragon or Basil

In small bowl or covered jar, measure all ingredients; stir with fork or covered jar and shake until mixed. Cover and chill, shake dressing before serving.
This recipe for quick bread is still a wonderful memory when I was a kid waking up on the weekend for breakfast. My mother made this at least once a month as a treat for us kids in the morning.
I hope you will enjoy this bread.

1 cup chopped pecan or walnut meat. (mom used walnuts)
2 cups sifted flour
3 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup brown sugar
1 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp melted shortening or butter

Place chopped nut meats in boiling water a few minutes and drain
Sift dry ingredients together. Combine milk, egg, shortening and nutmeats. Add to dry mixture and mix. Pour into greased loaf pan.
Bake at 350* about 1 hour or until lightly browned. Use toothpick test.

Have you ever wondered how many servings come from a package or a weight.
Here is some guide-lines as with anything there can be variations for these.

1 pd. All-purpose flour 4 cups sifted
1 pd. Arrowroot about 4 cups
1 pd. Barley flour 2 cups
1 pd. Buckwheat flour 4 ½ cups
1 pd. Cake flour 4 ¼ cups sifted
1 pd. Corn flakes 18 cups
1 pd. Cornmeal about 3 cups
1 pd. Cornstarch about 3 cups
1 pd. Cracked wheat about 2 ¼ cups
1 pd. Cream of Wheat about 2 ½ cups
1 pd. Graham flour about 3 ½ cups
1 pd. Hominy grits about 2 ½ cups
1 pd. Macaroni, broken 5 cups/ about 12 cups cooked
1 pd. Noodles, broken 5 ½ cups/about 10 cups cooked
1 pd. Pearl barley about 2 cups
1 pd. Rice 2 ¼ cups/about 8 cups cooked
1 pd. Rice flour about 4 cups
1 pd. Rolled oats 5 cups/about 10 cups cooked
1 pd. Rye flour about 4 ½ cups
1 pd. Soybean flour about 7 ½ cups
1 pd. Spaghetti, broken 5 ½ cups/about 11 cups cooked
1 pd. Tapioca about 2 ½ cups
ORANGE ZEST CAKE

This is a great Spring cake....my grandmother used to make it.

INGREDIENTS
4  eggs
1 1⁄2 cups sugar
1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
 2 tablespoons orange zest, from 1- 2 oranges
1 teaspoon vanilla 

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 F . Grease and flour a tube pan. If using fresh oranges, zest and juice them. With an electric mixer or by hand, beat together the eggs and sugar until thick. Gradually mix in the oil. Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt, and then the orange juice. Beat until smooth, and then add in the zest and vanilla.

Pour the batter into your prepared pan, and bake for about 40 minutes, or until the cake tests done. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 7 to 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to finish cooling.  This a great light cake with no frosting. You can also make a sugar glaze to sprinkle on cake and add some crumbles of orange zest on top as well.

VANILLA GLAZE (optional)
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons milk
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon butter 

Melt butter and add to all ingredients. Beat until creamy. Drizzle from pastry bag onto cake and top with orange zest sprinkles.
Thank you for sharing this. I made a copy of this Orange Zest Cake recipe and pasted it to word. Printed it out. Cannot wait to try it out.
Laurie
Hope you like it. Please let me know. It isn't really overly sweet without the glaze and I like that.
Also as a footnote you can drizzle orange liqueur over the hot cake (very yummy) or sprinkle brown sugar....
I was a working mother and had to come up with things that tasted good, was fast to make, and my kids(five) and hubby would eat. I came up with this. Its simple, very tasty, and best of all easy. I call it Red Stew....Under stand this can be added to, or subtracted from to add your
own favorite veggies. You add everything to the pot, including the raw stew beef. Set it to boil, then simmer till potatoes are tender. During the summer you can add fresh veggies instead of canned. Also the measurements are not exact. If you like more green beans add more. If you want it all veggie leave out the beef. Add more meat if you like it more meaty. The key to this stew is its flavor. It is wonderful and very forgiving. Everybody I have shared this with loves it. It works well for college students as well as newlyweds. It also freezes well. Add some hot crusty bread or corn bread and you are in heaven. You may make it as spicy as you want by adding a little additional hot sauce.
Red Stew:
In a large pan dump in the following...
1)one can of corn( drained)
2)one can of green beans(drained)
3)one can of peas(drained)
4)fresh carrots(the amount depends on how much you like them). I use the baby carrots, no cutting necessary. I grab a small package, rinse them and just throw them in whole.
5)potatoes cut like you would for well stew or mashed. You want them large enough to slowly simmer, but small enough to take in two bites.As many as you want. Remember this is for your taste.
6)stew beef(any amount or none at all) Make sure beef is cut into good size chunks. Just enough for a mouthful. :D
You may add anything from squash to zucchini.
Remember this stew can be adapted for what you like in veggies. When I came up with this recipe it was with the intent to use it in many ways. You can even use cut up pieces of chicken. I like beef better, but remember you are eating it.
7)You will need two large bottles of spicy v-8 juice and small bottle of hot sauce.
Pour enough of the v-8 juice into the pan to cover the veggies. At this point you may add a little water. Add salt and pepper. Set on top of stove. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer. Let it slowly simmer/bubble for apx a hour. Test it for flavor after about 15 minutes. If you want more spice use the hot sauce. Use it carefully. You may also simmer it for longer.
I have given this recipe out to many people and all have loved it. It is simple and can be changed to what you have on hand. Best part though is it is low in calories and considered comfort food. You get the flavor you crave and the comfort of eating a really good meal without all the calories. I calculated using just veggies, that a cup was under 100 calories. Add chicken its slightly more. Let me know how you like it. One more thing, it keeps well in the frig. And only gets better as each day passes. I would suggest you freeze it if you are not going to eat it all within three or four days.
Enjoy
Laurie
Oh can ya all tell I was raised by parents that taught their daughter to cook with a pinch and a peck? I never used measuring cups. Was taught at one point to cook and bake on a old fashioned wood burning stove. Amazing.
I want to thank everyone that is putting recipes in my blog, Your responces have been awesome and I just want to thank you all again.
I am going to ask permission from each of you to copy the recipes to be used in a hard copy cookbook.
Any and all recipes will have the submitters name on them.
I am also going to ask you if you wish to send me recipes via email.
My email addy is talihinarobert at yahoo dot com.
I do appreciate everything you guys have done to make this a success. Thank you all again.
God bless
Robert

Easy Sponge Cake

1 cup sifted cake flour
¼ tsp salt
grated lemon rind ½ lemon
1 ½ tsp lemon juice
5 eggs (seperated)
1 cup sugar

Sift flour and salt together multiple times.
Add lemon rind and juice to beaten yolks and beat until thick.
Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold in sugar in small amounts.
Fold in egg yolks.
Sift about ¼ flour at a time over surface and fold in.
Bake in ungreased tube pan in 350* oven for 1 hour.
Invert pan and let cake hang in pan until cool.
Makes 1 9inch cake.
This is an easy make hope you all enjoy it.
Recipe is from my mothers cookbook.