Nice to see you back Robert!

I think June 14th is National Strawberry Day or something....anyway I picked lots of fresh strawberries in the fields and made this Old Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake.

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
16 oz Fresh Strawberries
 3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 cups milk

DIRECTIONS Hull strawberries and cut each in half. Combine half of strawberries in a bowl with 2 tablespoons sugar. Combine cream and vanilla with remaining sugar and set aside. Stir cream occasionally to dissolve sugar.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and trace outline of an 8-inch circle. Set aside.

Whisk together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. With a pastry cutter or 2 knives, cut in 4 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk until dough just comes together. Pat dough into an 8-inch circle using outline on parchment paper as a guide.

Bake about 30 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes on pan. Using a serrated knife, slice crosswise in half and carefully separate. Spread insides with remaining room temperature butter. Combine strawberries and cover bottom shortcake layer with half of the strawberry mixture. Replace top cake layer on bottom layer and cover with remaining strawberries. Serve warm, cut into wedges and drizzled with sweetened cream. 
Mizvee
Thank you. and that recipe looks so good. I need to try that one soon as strawberries are plentiful right now and my sweet tooth is yelling at me lol.
Its good to be back and I hope to be more involved in your book club also.
Thank you again for the welcome back.
Spinach and Cheese Greek Stuffing For Chicken or Lamb or Pork Chops

Ingredients

1 lb. skinless chicken breasts (approximately 2 breasts) or 4 chicken cutlets or 4 Lamb or Pork Chops
1 cup Greek salad dressing 
6 oz. Fresh spinach, wilted in olive oil lightly
½ cup (2.5 oz.) crumbled Feta cheese (you can sub goat cheese)
1 cup Panko or regular bread crumbs
1 teaspoon greek seasoning (I have a seasoning recipe too**)
1 Tablespoon olive oil or canola oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Instructions

Cut chicken breasts in half, making 4 pieces. Flatten slightly, being careful not to pound clear through the chicken. Or butterfly chops. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Dip each piece of chicken or chop in bowl of greek salad dressing. Combine dry spinach and feta cheese in a small bowl. Combine bread crumbs and greek seasoning in a small bowl. Put ¼ of the spinach mixture on each piece of chicken. Gently roll up chicken. Or stuff chops. Roll each piece of chicken or chop in seasoned crumbs. Add oil to baking dish. Place each piece of chicken or chop in baking dish. Bake in 375 degree F. oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until chicken done and nicely browned. Lamb should not be cooked over medium. Serve immediately. 

Scratch Greek Seasoning**
2 teaspoons salt 1 teaspoon basil 2 teaspoons dried oregano 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme 1 1⁄2 teaspoons onion powder 2 teaspoons garlic powder 1 teaspoon dill 1 teaspoon marjoram 1 teaspoon cornstarch 1 teaspoon pepper 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes 1 teaspoon rosemary 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg 
This recipe comes from one of my favorite cookbooks in my collection.
It is a simple dish but very tasty and company loves it. It also makes a great sandwich.
Cookbook is The Prudhomme Family Cookbook
Chef Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen.

Boulettes dans une Sauce Rouillee
(Meatballs in Brown Gravy)
3# ground beef
3 slices white sandwich bread
3 cups very finely chopped green onions (use whole onion)
2 cups very finely chopped onions
2/3 cup very finely chopped green bell peppers
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp very finely chopped fresh parsley
1 large egg
1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp very finely chopped garlic
1 Tbsp plus 1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp ground red pepper (cayenne is my choice)
1.2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup vegetable oil
4 cups water
About 6 cups hot cooked rice
Note: If your ground hot pepper vinegar peppers are very hot use your own judgement on how much to use.)
Put meat in a very large mixing bowl. Wet the bread thoroughly under tap water, then squeeze out moisture and add the bread to the meat.
Add 1 1/2 cups of the green onions, 1 cup of the onions, 1/3 cup of bell pepper, 2 Tbsp of the parsley the egg, 2 tsp of the Ground Hot Peeper Vinegar Peppers, 1 1/2 tsp of the black pepper. and the red pepper.
Mix thoroughly by hand until bread has disappeared into the mixture.
Form into 16 meatballs, each about 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
Place the flour in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
In a heavy 6 quart sauce pan or large dutch oven, heat the oil over high heat for about 3 minutes. Brown meatballs in two batches.
Before browning meatballs dredge meatballs thoroughly in the flour shaking off the excess flour.
Set aside 2 Tbsp flour.
Cook each batch in the hot oil until dark brown and crisp on all sides , about 12 to 14 minutes, scraping pan bottom clean.(save the scrapings from bottom of pan)
Remove pan from heat so the oil doesn't start smoking.
Combine the remaining green onions, onions, bell peppers and 1 Tbsp garlic in a bowl and set aside.
Place pan over medium heat.
Add the2 Tbsp remaining flour and cook approximately 1 minute add the scraping from pan as you do this.
Add the vegetables mixture and cook about 8 minutes, stirring and scraping pan bottom constantly. Add 1 cup water and the remaining parsley, scraping pan bottom til clean. Add remaining 3 cups water and the browned meatballs and reserved drippings to the pan.
Turn heat to high and bring to a strong boil, stirring occasionally.
Reduce heat to medium and cook and stir about 5 minutes.
Add the remaining black pepper, salt, stirring well.
Cover, reduce heat, and simmer about 20 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat, let sit about 15 minutes and skim fat from surface and serve meatballs over about 3/4 cup rice topped with gravy for each serving.

[b]Deviled Chicken
1 to 11/2 pds chicken breast with skin.
2 tbsp Dry Mustard
1 tbsp Dry Vermouth
1 tbsp Clarified Butter (melted)
Fresh ground pepper corns (to taste)
Sea salt (to taste)

Trim chicken- prepare both sides
Measure mustard, vermouth, butter
Preheat broiler to medium hot.

Mix mustard, vermouth, and melted butter, brush chicken all over.
Season with salt and pepper.
Broil skin side up for 10 minutes, turn and baste again with mustard mix and give another 10 minutes on cut side.
Dust with parsley and serve. ( you can also use cilantro in place of parsley)

Is good when served with grilled tomatoes, corn on the cob, and potatoes
Is good with a light beer :)
Easy Baked Fish

1 cup fine chopped celery
4 ea. Talapia filets
Lemon Pepper seasoning to taste
Virgin Olive oil
Garlic salt to taste

This recipe is really easy and very tasty.
Take the chopped celery and line the bottom of a baking dish to cover completely.
Lay the talapia filets on top of the celery.
Take Virgin olive oil and drizzle on top of fish, add lemon pepper and garlic according to taste.
Cover pan with foil.
In 350 degree oven place pan in middle and bake for 15 to 20 minutes depending on thickness of filets.
Remove for heat and let sit for about 5 minutes and serve.

It is good with fresh steamed vegetables and baked potato and is low on calories and fat.
I hope you enjoy this easy to make dish. 
Tasty Cucumber and Pasta Salad
This is a really good salad if your wanting low carbs. Preparation is not that long but it is worth it for the flavor.
2 cucumbers cut into noodles (discard seeds and skin)
I cup tomatoes ( I love to use cherry tomatoes cut in half)
1 clove garlic chopped fine
1/2 cup olives (chopped)
2 cups pasta (spiral is good for this)

Dressing
1 tbsp fresh basil (chopped)
1 tbsp fresh oregano (chopped)
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt

clean and peel cucumber and make noodles with julienne peeler or cut thinly.
In medium bowl toss pasta, tomatoes, garlic and olives.
in small bowl whisk together herbs and vinegar, salt and pepper.
Pour dressing on pasta and toss
It makes for a nice lunch salad. 
Robert's Meatloaf ( for us country folk)
This recipe is my grandmothers creation minus the bread crumbs.
It is very tasteful and with mashed potatoes and some veggies makes a great dinner.
The seasoning is not exact as I dont usually measure things.

1 1/2 pds ground beef 80% or better on lean to fat
1/2 pd mild sausage
1 cup uncooked oatmeal
4 eggs
4 tbsp minced garlic (I use the fresh garlic)
1/2 onion (chopped fine)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper (or to taste)
1 tbsp Italian seasoning (I use the premade for this is easier)

Mix your beef and sausage and seasonings together, then add your onions oatmeal and eggs mix well.
This will make either one big loaf or two smaller loafs
Heat oven to 350*
Cover meat loaf with foil and put in to cook for approximately an hour or until internal temp reads 160.
Pull foil off and return to over for 15minutes to form a crust on meatloaf.
Take out of oven let sit for a few minutes before slicing or it might fall apart on you.
You can cover with catsup or anything like that but I prefer to not put a sauce on top as I have mine with mashed potatoes and gravy and the gravy is good on the meatloaf too.
I hope you enjoy trying this country recipe. 
I like to add a pack of drained frozen spinach and some cheddar cheese to my meatloaf and I use oatmeal instead of bread crumbs. 

If I can get ground deer or moose I like to add cranberries, it is supposed to be lingen berries but I can't get them. 

I always add eggs to bind it.  
That sounds awesome, I need to try the spinach and cheese in the meatloaf and oatmeal is a great binder with the egg. Thank you for your input I really appreciate it.
Rhubarb Cake

Cake•1 cup sugar
•1 teaspoon baking soda
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•2 cups all-purpose flour
•2 eggs, beaten
•1 cup plain Greek yogurt
•1 pound (4 cups) diced rhubarb
Topping•3/4 cup sugar
•1/4 cup butter, softened
•1/4 cup all-purpose flour
•1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
In a large bowl, stir together sugar, baking soda, salt and 2 cups flour. Stir in the eggs and Greek yogurt until smooth, then fold in the rhubarb. Batter will be very thick. Pour into pan and spread evenly.
In a small bowl, stir together 3/4 cup sugar and butter until smooth. Stir in 1/4 cup flour and cinnamon until the mixture is crumbly. Then sprinkle the mixture on top of the cake.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes
Thank you Candan. I will definately put that recipe on my list for holiday gifts it sounds so good. I really appreciate what everyone is doing for the cookbook.
Thanks again for your input.
Robert
Here is a fun easy recipe to use when you are bbqing on the weekend.
Glazed Pork Chops

6 thick cut pork chops
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp paprika

Combine dry ingredients and mix well.
Rub generously on pork chops.
Place in refridgerator for 30 minutes til glaze forms.
Grill on bbq until done.
Enjoy a new taste for bbqing.

Another easy to fix meal that is different

Meatball bombs

1pd meatloaf mix, beef and pork or all beef your choice
1 egg
1/2 cup bread crumbs ( I like the italian seasoned crumbs)
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
3 large yellow onions, ( I prefer the large sweet onions)
salt to taste
1 pkg bacon
1/2 cup bbq sauce ( use your favorite)

Combine meat, egg, bread crumbs, cheese and salt
Cut onions in half, cut ends off, peel, layer the larger onion parts
Make small meatballs and wrap with the large onion layers (one on each side to cover each meatball)
Wrap with 3 pieces of bacon and secure with a toothpick
Bake in dish at 425* F about 40 minutes. (sue a dish with sides to catch the grease)
Add bbq sauce and bake an additional 5 minutes.
This is really a fun and different meal to serve to family and friends.

And last but not least for the fisherman that likes hushpuppies
Beer Batter Hushpuppies

1 1/2 cups cornmeal
2 tbsp flour
3 tbsp baking powder
4 tsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1.4 tsp ground red peppers (chili powder)
1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onions
2 large eggs
3/4 cup beer
Oil for frying (enough to have 2" of oil in pan.

Whisk dry ingredients together
Stir in onions and eggs until well combined
Add beer and mix well.

Drop rounded tablespoons of batter in oil heated to 350*
Fry for 2 or 3 minutes til golden brown turning as they fry to give even coat.
Remove with slotted spoon onto paper towels to drain.
NOTE: Cook one to determine doneness, adjust cooking time if needed.
This will not agree with some people if they don't like microwaves. Microwaving food actually cooks by boiling so in the process of expanding it removes melted fat and cholesterol. Frying and roasting seals it in. Boiling only removes surface fat. So if you don't like microwaves ignore that step in my recipes. One fault with microwaving is that like boiling it removes some vitamins and minerals, but less than boiling.
As for changing the molecular make up, I don't know about that.

Never microwave higher than six because the expanded juices can not get out fast enough so the meat blows up. It tends to dry things out if too high too.

I made curry yesterday, mine is pretty mild because I like the curry as an accent not overpowering. The same with sauces. So the chicken pieces and potatoes were big enough that there was still some original taste when bit into. If I want it hotter I add cayenne. I also add apple to cut some of the bitter taste. My mother used to add sugar or honey to store bought carrots. When I lived without a fridge butter would go rancid. melting it in boiling water and cooling would restore it so it could be used still.

Anyone else have tricks like these.
Here is a recipe I found that you might like for your oyster dressing.
This recipe makes about 9 cups of dressing

2pds. small to medium shucked oysters in liquid
4 cups cold water
2tsp salt
2tsp. garlic powder
2tsp. ground red pepper (cayenne is less hot) or just use 1tsp
2tsp. sweet paprika
2tsp. black pepper
1tsp. onion powder
1tsp. dried oregano leaves
1tsp. dried thyme leaves
1/4 cup margarine plus 2 tbsp
6 cups chopped onions
4 cups chopped celery
4 cups chopped bell peppers
1tbsp. minced garlic
2 cups chopped green onion tops only
2 cups chopped parsley
8 small bay leaves
4 1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
4tbsp unsalted butter.

Combine the oysters, oyster liquid, and water and put in refrigerator for an hour. Strain oysters and save 4cups of the oyster water seperately. keep in refrigerator until ready to use.
In medium sized bowl mix all your seasonings well and set aside.
Put 1 stick plus 2tbsp margarine in heavy 8qt sauce pan or dutch oven. Over high heat. When margarine is half melted add 3 cups onions,2cups celery, and 2 cups bell peppers saute until onions are well browned. Stir in 3 tbsp of the seasoning mix and the garlic. Reduce your heat to low and cook about 4 minutes stirring and scraping pan bottom. Add the remaining butter, onions, celery and bell peppers and 1 cup of green onions I cup of parsley and the bay leaves. Turn the heat to high, stirring in the margarine until melted and vegetables are tender but still firm about 10 minutes.
Now stir in the reserved oyster water and cook about 15minutes stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining seasoning mix and enough bread crumbs to make fairly moist but not runny dressing. Remove from heat.
Drain oysters well and stir them into the dressing. Spoon dressing into an ungreased baking pan. Preferably not a non stick pan. bake at 350* oven until well browned about an hour. stir after a dark crust builds up. Remove from oven and stir thoroughly but gently so oysters wont break apart. scrape brown parts from bottom of pan. Discard bay leaves.
Add remaining butter and remaining cup of green onions and parsley, stirring well. Serve as desired or wait til completely cool to stuff a fowl.
I hope this helps you.
Have a great day.
Robert.