Does anyone know who William Hoy was?

He was the reason why baseball came up with the signals they use today.
http://www.reporterherald.com/ci_20745061/deaf-player-william-hoy-inspired-baseball-signals

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dummy_Hoy

People will say "Deaf and Dumb" today even, The society try to change it to deaf and mute, but alot of deaf are not mute! They do make sounds, but remember, they can't hear so they don't know how to sound out the words, I am one lol, the darn Ch get me all the time :lol: . S sound, I can't hear it so I don't know if I am saying it right.
Personally I generally go with hearing/speech impaired if I am forced to refer to a disability but more often than not I refer to a person by their name not their disability (but I guess that's probably politically incorrect as well...).
Sara2101 wrote: Personally I generally go with hearing/speech impaired if I am forced to refer to a disability but more often than not I refer to a person by their name not their disability (but I guess that's probably politically incorrect as well...).

but what if there are two people with the same name?
Sara2101 wrote: Personally I generally go with hearing/speech impaired if I am forced to refer to a disability but more often than not I refer to a person by their name not their disability (but I guess that's probably politically incorrect as well...).

Here, deaf has two class with deafness, Deaf and deaf, the Deaf are active with the deaf community and deaf isn't. There is an organization here that's called Deaf and hear. Hearing people need support too, like tinnist or loosing their hearing with age or an illness.

Right now I am the catagory "deaf". it also known as the deaf culture here. Or as most call it, profound hearing loss. there are different catagory in that feild too, mild, medium and profound. I have a profound hearing loss, very profound lol.
daisyjean wrote:

Here, deaf has two class with deafness, Deaf and deaf, the Deaf are active with the deaf community and deaf isn't. There is an organization here that's called Deaf and hear. Hearing people need support too, like tinnist or loosing their hearing with age or an illness. http://www.deafandhearalberta.ca/

Right now I am the catagory "deaf". it also known as the deaf culture here. Or as most call it, profound hearing loss. there are different catagory in that feild too, mild, medium and profound. I have a profound hearing loss, very profound lol.

We all have our own signing name, it is to identify who we are talking to or about. Because if you refer them by name, it can be confusing lol. Those who are deaf and mute, don't have hearing or speach impairment, they don't like being called that, they rather you identify them by their culture. I do know some who can't talk at all and that because they were born deaf.

However Sara, you have a really sweet soul :)