The Internet seems to be a magnet for nastiness, be it in the form of chat rooms, forums, social media or online pics. The anonymity of the world wide web sometimes makes it difficult to appreciate the very real consequences of our digital actions. However, why do these individuals feel the need to hate on the Internet? The answer is simple and in reality, lies within the individual's lack in their own confidence and self-esteem or because they feel that they can get away with this behaviour and throw it aside as a sport, fun, or banter. There's nothing wrong with criticism or sharing opinions, but often times the lack of limits or immediate feedback causes people to become rude and hurtful. Expressing a different opinion is always welcome, but being nasty, insulting, and rude when communicating online is unacceptable, no matter what side you're on or what objective you have. Just think of face-to-face conversations. No matter how valid a person's points are if he or she does it impolitely, they are often dismissed if their ideas are not expressed in a respectable manner. The same goes for online interactions, but it’s so easy to forget about this when we treat online communication like we’re hurling a rock at someone and then running away.
Pearl - I totally agree with your comments and I consider some are lacking courtesy. I have just looked at the meaning of the word courtesy in the Oxford English Dictionary and I see polite and considerate behaviour and polite speech. I am referring to this as it should be remembered when using this site for chat, forum or blog posts. I am not a daily contributor in fact I am somewhat irregular but I am saddened by the decline and from about six months ago, so may regular, funny and informative contributors appear to have disappeared and I wonder if the courteous aspect in the way we chat has something to do with it. It is easy to loose friends but more difficult to get them back. You may agree with my thoughts or disagree but they are MY thoughts.

Dodger
Dodger, I agree with what you saying about courtesy but some people tend to lack that and turn nasty spoiling it for others.
I absolutely agree with you Pearl in every single word you wrote and I hope that people stop being so rude and impolite with others and to think more and more about others feeling before saying something may hurt others feelings
Agreeing with the above posts. Sadly, most of the rude or insulting comments in chat and in the forums are deliberate. Why, I have no idea. The majority of people here are simply looking to make friends, exchange pleasantries and enjoy each others company. Sometimes the conversations can be serious, sometimes simply silly, but they should never be a place for people to be hurtful. There are other sites for that. We know that some will post the most inane drivel in the forums simply to crank up their numbers or see their name in print, those posts are simply ignored and are harmless, if tedious. It's when an insult is directed at an individual or group, that it's very hard to ignore, and usually worded such a way that the poster can 'laugh it off, as it's a joke, you have no sense of humour'. No, it isn't a joke. Seriously, do we need Miss Manners to come visit?
Thank you very much Apple for your beautiful words and I strongly agree with you
Sadly, I use the chat room infrequently, and when I do, there's rarely anyone there. Everyone on the site has been very friendly toward me, and that is why I continue to pay my premium subscription. Joining the 50 plus club was an excellent choice. :D
Very well said!!!!!
It is easy for people to say anything if your not face to face.
I find it interesting that "bullying" happens at any age. I agree with all of you. Its up to the adults to keep it pleasant. We all have been through too much to take crap from the ignorant.
VAwoman wrote: I find it interesting that "bullying" happens at any age. I agree with all of you. Its up to the adults to keep it pleasant. We all have been through too much to take crap from the ignorant.

Fortunately, chat room bullying on this site has been eradicated, since there's never anybody there.
pearl you are not alone G has treated me the same way many times
billcc wrote: pearl you are not alone G has treated me the same way many times

:lol: