Sweetiepie22 wrote: I don't like being asked if I would go fly a weekend away with someone I don't know. I said "no" and the person said "I wouldn't have to pay a thing", I said doesn't matter, I am not interested. I don't know what his intentions were but I wasn't about to find out either when I don't even know the person. Do some men think all women are gullable?"

I cannot imagine why anyone would want to spend a weekend with a stranger and I feel it shows a certain disrespect to ask.
Sweetiepie, I hope that there are very few men who think like this. Even as a man I would be totally bewildered, stunned and eventually a bit annoyed if a woman said the same things to me. Had you even agreed with this suggestion, I think you would have taken an extreme risk to your own safety to say the least. If there are any men out there, who are or have considered doing anything like this, then I don't think this is a site for you to be on. These are some dangerous times as we have all seen and read in the news. If you intend meeting someone, always take someone along for protection, go to a public place for a coffee or tea. Your accompanying companion, could sit a few tables away or even wait outside in a car. Even a member who is certified, doesn't mean that they are entirely trustworthy, all things can be faked. Think safety first and those asking to meet someone for the first time, consider showing some respect with an appropriate time, place and manner.

Ron
morton1 wrote: ....................I do have to agree it is better to be safe then sorry when asked for your email or number. 

Morton i so agree better safe than sorry .A helpful hint !!..
 One of the easiest things to do on the internet is to create a another email address...For a new friend  and /or whenever  the caution flag  comes up in a new getting to know you situation--- always only give  your secondary email .That way, if need be  you can disappear from further contact in an instant without compromising your  pers. security,or primary email..by simply canceling your new e-mail addy.
Sometimes I ask the person if he would just like to chat elsewhere or email but if the person doesn't want that's fine. If you don't ask how will you know. I did ask if someone wanted to give his email/chat but didn't respond. I won't ask again that's for sure. You either want to give or you don't...

We must be careful too if some guys slip through the cracks and they are scammers that will be the first thing they will ask is for your email or they give you some long number for texting....I even get suspicious of that and I don't bother. Second week I was on I got two scammers, and I reported them they got in and out quickly. I was impressed with this site....that they caught the scammers that fast.
scrummy wrote: I Usually give my email addy in Irish, then they say WTF.

almost fell off my chair laughing :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!
thanks for the scrumptious tip
Just a clue peeps, if he/she is too good to be true, right of the bat, he/she isnt. :) Remember keep an open heart and mind, and ask sweetly before it goes to far....ummmmmm and do you mind giving me the information to do a background check...
That usually does the trick.
Laurie
mi.lwcus wrote: Sweetiepie, I hope that there are very few men who think like this. Even as a man I would be totally bewildered, stunned and eventually a bit annoyed if a woman said the same things to me. Had you even agreed with this suggestion, I think you would have taken an extreme risk to your own safety to say the least. If there are any men out there, who are or have considered doing anything like this, then I don't think this is a site for you to be on. These are some dangerous times as we have all seen and read in the news. If you intend meeting someone, always take someone along for protection, go to a public place for a coffee or tea. Your accompanying companion, could sit a few tables away or even wait outside in a car. Even a member who is certified, doesn't mean that they are entirely trustworthy, all things can be faked. Think safety first and those asking to meet someone for the first time, consider showing some respect with an appropriate time, place and manner.

Ron

Sorry just noticed your comment now....thank you for sharing with me. I had only been on the site one day and this guy wanted to invite me to New York...I said to him no in a nice manner but certainly did not encourage his friendship. I didn't feel good about him so I discouraged contact with him.....he never bothered me again.
TheLadyL wrote: Just a clue peeps, if he/she is too good to be true, right of the bat, he/she isnt. :) Remember keep an open heart and mind, and ask sweetly before it goes to far....ummmmmm and do you mind giving me the information to do a background check...
That usually does the trick.
Laurie

Thank you Laurie I certainly have my eyes open....this was the first day here and asked that for the weekend to spend time with a stranger....OMG No! ....I am not inclined to go off anywhere without knowing the person. He seemed to justify it by saying I will pay everything....I said whether you pay or not ....I am not interested and politely discouraged him from further contact.
mi.lwcus wrote: Sweetiepie, I hope that there are very few men who think like this. Even as a man I would be totally bewildered, stunned and eventually a bit annoyed if a woman said the same things to me. Had you even agreed with this suggestion, I think you would have taken an extreme risk to your own safety to say the least. If there are any men out there, who are or have considered doing anything like this, then I don't think this is a site for you to be on. These are some dangerous times as we have all seen and read in the news. If you intend meeting someone, always take someone along for protection, go to a public place for a coffee or tea. Your accompanying companion, could sit a few tables away or even wait outside in a car. Even a member who is certified, doesn't mean that they are entirely trustworthy, all things can be faked. Think safety first and those asking to meet someone for the first time, consider showing some respect with an appropriate time, place and manner.

Ron

Thanks again we definitely have to play it safe! 
Sweetiepie22 wrote:

Ron

Ron sorry for my delayed reply and....thank you for your response....we all have to play it safe!
Graham1 wrote:
Sweetiepie22 wrote: I don't like being asked if I would go fly a weekend away with someone I don't know. I said "no" and the person said "I wouldn't have to pay a thing", I said doesn't matter, I am not interested. I don't know what his intentions were but I wasn't about to find out either when I don't even know the person. Do some men think all women are gullable?"

I cannot imagine why anyone would want to spend a weekend with a stranger and I feel it shows a certain disrespect to ask.

I am sorry for the delayed response....not like me to overlook. I can't even imagine being with a stranger and a weekend to boot...but it was a weird email to say the least and I wasn't even a day on this site when I received it.
I've read your initial post and all the responses so far. I agree with most of what is being said.  One needs to be careful, prudent and safe above all. One also needs to be amicable to that type of invitation. If not it needs to be rejected out of hand or, if you, see something in that persons profile that real that  really interest you you should share your reservation. t If accepted at all it needs to be conditional.  As to the question as to why someone would make such a proposal there are several reasons I can think of. The one that settles in my mind is that someone may just be in a position to share his life with someone. Think of it as speed dating on steroids.  The point I'm trying to make is that if someone invited anyone to a day of sailing, would you accept.  Sometimes a invite for a walk in the park is just that, a walk in the park.. Good company. All men do not think all women are gullible and all men are not scoundrels. 
LifesaDance wrote: I've read your initial post and all the responses so far. I agree with most of what is being said.  One needs to be careful, prudent and safe above all. One also needs to be amicable to that type of invitation. If not it needs to be rejected out of hand or, if you, see something in that persons profile that real that  really interest you you should share your reservation. t If accepted at all it needs to be conditional.  As to the question as to why someone would make such a proposal there are several reasons I can think of. The one that settles in my mind is that someone may just be in a position to share his life with someone. Think of it as speed dating on steroids.  The point I'm trying to make is that if someone invited anyone to a day of sailing, would you accept.  Sometimes a invite for a walk in the park is just that, a walk in the park.. Good company. All men do not think all women are gullible and all men are not scoundrels. 

Safety does come first for sure. It's getting to know someone that is important first and foremost and this man was a stranger...I really don't know what situation he was in but nevertheless I wasn't interested. No not all men think all women are gullible and the word I believe I said was some men and should be some women are gullible....

Definitely not all men or all women are scoundrels; only some!  :)
I like to add this quote in about friends.

“You can talk with someone for years, everyday, and still, it won't mean as much as what you can have when you sit in front of someone, not saying a word, yet you feel that person with your heart, you feel like you have known the person forever.... connections are made with the heart, not the tongue.” ~  ― C. JoyBell ~

Making friends start with hello but not assuming that just because the person uttered hello....that they have the liberty of asking for your number....or invite you to spend a weekend....it all takes time to build up and then you must go with your gut and in your heart if it feels right; but your brain has to be in overdrive all the time when decisions are being made. Needless to say.....safety is always first!
Nice quote Sweetiepie. Thank you!!! :)