Ladies around the Maypole

Today's May Day activities (if it's not raining) will involve a visit to the village green to watch the ladies dance around the Maypole and to watch Morris dancers strike sticks, ring bells and wave handkerchiefs outside the pub, conveniently named The Maypole, where we will enjoy a traditional Ploughman's lunch and a pint (or two) of Hobgoblin ale.

Happy May Day everyone!

Morris Dancers

Youre a bit late! :lol:
Graham1 wrote: Youre a bit late! :lol:

bit early, actually, it's not till the 27th :o
Only in the UK could we celebrate May Day on the first Monday in May and then the actual May Day dancing be scheduled for the 27th on Spring Bank/Whitsun.... :roll:
Sara2101 wrote: Only in the UK could we celebrate May Day on the first Monday in May and then the actual May Day dancing be scheduled for the 27th on Spring Bank/Whitsun.... :roll:

I should of asked you huh :lol:
1 May is celebrated as May Day in most countries around the world. In the United Kingdom and Ireland the bank holiday isn't fixed on May 1st, but instead is observed on the first Monday of May.
Trust UK to be different! :lol:
It's because we're frugal. The first day of the working we costs more to warm the workplace that any other. At some point in the past someone decided it was more economical to have one longer shut down instead on two short ones. All bank holidays, with the exception of Christmas therefore fall either side of the weekend (Friday or Monday).

I guess even our Government decided that celebrating Our Lord's birth at the same time as all other Christians was more important than saving money.
Sara2101 wrote: It's because we're frugal. The first day of the working we costs more to warm the workplace that any other. At some point in the past someone decided it was more economical to have one longer shut down instead on two short ones. All bank holidays, with the exception of Christmas therefore fall either side of the weekend (Friday or Monday).

I guess even our Government decided that celebrating Our Lord's birth at the same time as all other Christians was more important than saving money.

in this case they have the right idea because it's raining today but will likely be sunny and warm later in May :lol:
celebrations.jpg
Was a lovely day in Norwich today for the football club's promotion party!
You have to be a registered member to view the files attached to this post.
How do you add attachments to a post, Graham? Is it a feature available only to admins? It certainly would make life easier than having to trawl wiki for public domain images to illustrate a post.
complexicon wrote: Image
Ladies around the Maypole

Today's May Day activities (if it's not raining) will involve a visit to the village green to watch the ladies dance around the Maypole and to watch Morris dancers strike sticks, ring bells and wave handkerchiefs outside the pub, conveniently named The Maypole, where we will enjoy a traditional Ploughman's lunch and a pint (or two) of Hobgoblin ale.

Happy May Day everyone!

Morris Dancers

You seem to be able to post images in this threat

You can also use http://upl.co/
complexicon wrote: How do you add attachments to a post, Graham? Is it a feature available only to admins? It certainly would make life easier than having to trawl wiki for public domain images to illustrate a post.

The intention was for posts in the forum to be just posts as exchanges of ideas and opinions so there is no attachment option within the forums, except for Admins.
It seems many members prefer to share stuff from Google rather than posting opinions of their own which is a little unimaginative!
links to images not attachments DUH!
complexicon wrote: links to images not attachments DUH!

I just gave it to you DUH
Graham1 wrote: The intention was for posts in the forum to be just posts as exchanges of ideas and opinions so there is no attachment option within the forums, except for Admins. It seems many members prefer to share stuff from Google rather than posting opinions of their own which is a little unimaginative!

I included images in my post so that our colonial cousins could understand the joy of the maypole and morris dancing, and to experience what it's like to live in a country with a mediaeval cultural history :)