As a true "Brit", I will celebrate St George's Day
The bells are ringing, the Union flag is hoisted on the Cathedral and I celebrate Saint George
"I vow to thee my country" - A poem by Rice set to music by Holst
Good for you Dodger. It saddens me how few English celebrate Saint George but they all seem to turn out on Saint Paddy's Day. :roll:
Sara2101 wrote: Good for you Dodger. It saddens me how few English celebrate Saint George but they all seem to turn out on Saint Paddy's Day. :roll:

Heard that what has happen. How they change things to make more convience for them. It sorta like.. celebrating your birthday on someone elses birthday instead of your own. :( .... don't sound fair right?
Thank you Sara

Just shows as there is absolutely no response - I know the room is world wide but I thought English ??? but sadly no.
I don't think any of the British countries are into celebrating our individual identities but the Irish use any excuse to celebrate! I didn't realise it Was St Georges Day until someone posted it on FB!
The Dutch are into celebrating and have a day off for the monarch's birthday with orange flags everywhere!
I think you are totally incorrect but it is not an excuse to ignore Saint George - please refer to St Andrew and Saint David

It is just an insular way the English look at things and the modern thinking in believing it is politically incorrect to upholds ones own Country.
I don't think patriotism is politically incorrect but nationalism is.
OED reference :-

Patriotism - strong feeling for your Country and prepared to defend it

Nationalism - Strongly patriotic

I am confused now
The difference between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot is proud of his country for what it does, and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does; the first attitude creates a feeling of responsibility, but the second a feeling of blind arrogance that leads to war.
Scottish National Party LOL

Man Hadrian's wall before the Scots go to war
Graham1 wrote: The difference between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot is proud of his country for what it does, and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does; the first attitude creates a feeling of responsibility, but the second a feeling of blind arrogance that leads to war.

You're quite right, Graham. Nationalism is one molecule away from fascism.
I'm strongly patriotic but I'm definitely not a fascist.

Celebrating your national Saint day is simply about showing pride in your country. Given the political nightmare that is currently happening and the ridicule we suffer as a result I would think we'd all be celebrating our national days this year more than ever.
My goodness

My first comment was about St George's day and the lack of celebration in England and the subject now gets to fascism