I'm going off on holiday alone for the first time.
I am a bit apprehensive but as it gets closer I am quite excited about spending the time doing what I want.
The only thing I think will be a problem for me is the evenings but I will keep the book handy lol
good on you .my friend due to circumstances has started hols on her own and loves it, now what do i tell the hubby!!!!
My friend goes on holidays on her own only to places where her husband is not interested in going. She joins a group and has a great time.
i am quite used to it now mostly cruises.
I have been on group holidays with the Open University Geological Society for over 20 years , including when I was still married . I had a wonderful time . I went to North Devon with them earlier this year .
My most amazing holiday experience was with the OUGS , I got within 10 feet of a lava flow in Hawaii .

Last year I went to Iceland for the first time with Discover the World , it was one of the best holidays ever & I saw the Northern Lights briefly . I want to go back .

I also went to Sao Miguel the Azores with the OUGS a couple of years ago , it was cheap , very pretty , flowers everywhere , rural dairy farming , people friendly . If anyone wants to go there please reply .

You are never too old to try something new , I went on my first actual adventure holiday a couple of years ago & found myself drunkenly singing karaoke for the first time , on an island in Lake Nicaragua . Here is a picture ! Also tried rafting & ziplining - enjoyed it hugely with G.A.P. Adventures , I recommend them too .

On a quieter note , when I first got divorced after 20 years I went on a coach trip with Scherings to Gairloch in NW Scotland & joined up with a party of 3 , same thing happened when I went to Blackpool .

Hope you had a great time , I really want to find people who like to travel & want company . See my profile , I'm a new member friendlyheidi
[center]my advice is for married couples never to go alone on vacation this is the fastest way to a divorce

Image[/center]
I think it depends on the people. We are all individuals and some couples like time apart to appreciate times together.
I think both Heisse and Graham have a point, so my vote goes for living in separate homes and travelling together as a couple! :wink:

But maybe this is a discussion for a different forum.
I agree with Graham, it depends on the couple and how much commitment they bring into their relationship. My husband and I vacation together sometimes, and sometimes we vacation separately. Even though we have been together for many years, we have kept our individuality and have different interests. I really enjoy the 'alone' vacations because it allows me to do what I want to do, when I want to do it. I am more outgoing and like meeting new people, he is more of a sit-back-and relax kind of guy. And I like to do stuff like hiking, boating, etc and his endurance level is considerably less than mine. So I vote for a balance of "together" and 'alone' vacations.
Of course I would not even consider signing up for a Singles Cruise though . . . lol. That type of vacation would definitely have negative consequences.
Thats great Damarus! Couples do not need to be tied to each other, especially if they like to explore different interests.
un fortunately for me, my wife has a long term condition so she relies on me as a sort of carer so my adventures are somewhat limited.
[center]I feel couples should not go separate vacation its when you grow old together always have something to talk about like" do you remember when" and you can enjoy it all over again
Try to tell our kids this and its amazing that they raising there kids the same way than you realize that you really did do a good job when say grown

Oh yeah bei the way did you know that August 2010 has
5 Sundays
5 mondays
5 Tuesdays
In one month?
It will happen only in 823 years again

Image[/center]
seabourndt wrote: i am quite used to it now mostly cruises.

\as \\\\\\\i am on my own now have been thinking about a cruise. Any suggestions ? Do you go on the larger cruise ships ?
How did you travel to
Sao Miguel ?
friendlyheidi wrote: I have been on group holidays with the Open University Geological Society for over 20 years , including when I was still married . I had a wonderful time . I went to North Devon with them earlier this year .
My most amazing holiday experience was with the OUGS , I got within 10 feet of a lava flow in Hawaii .

Last year I went to Iceland for the first time with Discover the World , it was one of the best holidays ever & I saw the Northern Lights briefly . I want to go back .

I also went to Sao Miguel the Azores with the OUGS a couple of years ago , it was cheap , very pretty , flowers everywhere , rural dairy farming , people friendly . If anyone wants to go there please reply .

You are never too old to try something new , I went on my first actual adventure holiday a couple of years ago & found myself drunkenly singing karaoke for the first time , on an island in Lake Nicaragua . Here is a picture ! Also tried rafting & ziplining - enjoyed it hugely with G.A.P. Adventures , I recommend them too .

On a quieter note , when I first got divorced after 20 years I went on a coach trip with Scherings to Gairloch in NW Scotland & joined up with a party of 3 , same thing happened when I went to Blackpool .

Hope you had a great time , I really want to find people who like to travel & want company . See my profile , I'm a new member friendlyheidi
Hi, I'm new on the site, so thought I'd get my 2 cents in on this subject. I have nearly always traveled on my own, at least to start off with, but of course you always meet people along the way and can join up with them for a short while. This is what I did on my first trip at 52 from Calgary, AB, through Utah and Arizona, camping in my Ford station wagon, and then flying on to Ecuador, SA, where a 3 month plan turned into a 6 month stay. Totally fell in love with the country and people. Went back 2.5 yrs later for another 6 months, connecting with some old friends and making new ones. Last trip was to Australia between Sept '08 and Feb '09. I do have relatives there, though didn't get to visit them until later on, over Christmas, (loved BarBQing for Christmas dinner!)
I found that the majority of women of all ages tend to travel alone. It gives one much more freedom to change plans, directions and generally not have an agenda. Many couples, of mixed or the same genders, were having troubles because they could not agree on where to go or what to do. If one gets sick or isn't having a good time it really inflicts on both parties if they are 'joined at the hip' and not independent enough or secure enough in themselves or their friend, to let go at least for a little while. My suggestion would be, if you don't want to travel alone, to go with a group, that way you can split up for shorter excursions if necessary and hopefully no one feels left out.
Happy traveling everyone! :D
Hi, I am recently new to the site. I signed up because I was not sure how i felt about getting into a relationship. But I enjoy spending time with a partner from time to time. Traveling has shown me some very nice parts of the world. I would like to share this with someone who can afford to do this with me. I am hoping to find someone who is fun and adventurous...and does not feel it necessary. to plan every moment of a trip. Contact me if you are interested in traveling.
Marg reallynorth@gmail.com