Mental health campaigners have questioned whether the UK's Jeremy Kyle Show can ever be safe. They suggest that our desire for reality TV has led us down a dark and twisted path where a programme on which contestants are mocked by viewers based on their class, background and appearance remains such a huge draw.

Apparently the shouting and screaming and fractious arguments presented for our titillation have been a concern for some time.

There are many accounts of the treatment of guests who have appeared on the Jeremy Kyle Show. One former guest said that his appearance on the show was "the worst thing hat has ever happened in his life".

Another previous guest on the show, a 62-year-old man, was found dead days after failing a lie-detector test on the programme when the show's presenter had literally "ripped into him" on stage.

A TV producer who was subsequently hired to to investigate mental health issues associated with the show and to film behind the scenes concluded that "It was distressing to see so many worlds torn apart and so little done to mend them afterwards."

National media has suggested that the Jeremy Kyle show is "toxic telly" and television bosses must axe it.

Jeremy Kyle reacted to the news that his show might be axed by claiming TV bosses are making him a scapegoat.

Do you watch the Jeremy Kyle show and do you agree it should be axed?

read more at: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-48276150
The programme preys on the mentally weak and unstable and gives credence to the sensationalists who want to exploit those weaknesses.

I often wonder about people who would choose to appear on such a programme. There should be some catch 22 type clause, if you want to appear then you're not mentally stable enough to do so and producers should turn you down, if you don't want to appear they can't make you.

Result - end of the programme
Sara2101 wrote: The programme preys on the mentally weak and unstable and gives credence to the sensationalists who want to exploit those weaknesses

Jerry Springer, PT Barnum spring to mind? We live in a sick and sinister society.
Yes its the UK version of the Jerry Springer Show in the US and its painful to watch so hope it never returns. I saw part of one show and that was too much! :shock:
Graham1 wrote: Yes its the UK version of the Jerry Springer Show in the US and its painful to watch so hope it never returns. I saw part of one show and that was too much! :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYWyYI4wkAo
The Jeremy Kyle Wind Up Ant And Decs Saturday Night Takeaway
That wind up was probably the only time I've actually enjoyed anything to do with Jeremy Kyle :lol:
You're right Sara. It is a mystery to me why anyone would appear on the show but, I suppose everyone wants their 15 minuets of fame.
I used to watch it but common sense intervene in the form of the question; "Why am I watching this?" :roll:
venusianb wrote: I used to watch it but common sense intervene in the form of the question; "Why am I watching this?" :roll:

I think people watch that show because it's easy tv. The programme isn't cerebrally challenging, much like Piers Morgan's life stories, any soap opera, big brother and celebrity get me out of here. Moreso, everybody knows someone who could guest on Jeremy Kyle. I have two sisters and neither would be out of place on that tv show.