I was just joking around Kent...as for the emoticons, when you respond to a post there are a bunch of them on the right side of the text-entry area. Just pick one wherever you need one. And they work for all members, not just premium. :D
Just to expand on Kent's comment about the auto renewal of Premium subscriptions, this club makes it clear that renewals are automatic in the main body of the mail confirming the initial subscription. You can cancel right up to the day preceding renewal although you should bear in mind that months are based on a 30 day cycle.
I think that is generally how it is Graham.  Even my insurance policy by the year, comes out automatically when the year is up.  Most companies I deal with on a regular basis, it is automatic unless I let them know otherwise.
Graham1 wrote: ... this club makes it clear that renewals are automatic in the main body of the mail confirming the initial subscription..

I don’t really care if currently this is S. O. P. with most dating services, or insurance companies for that matter. In the case of insurance, per California State Law, if a policy is canceled all unused premiums must be returned. Maybe 50plus operates this way, also, but I doubt it. Greed has infected these dating services, IMHO. As I previously stated software and subscription service in the past would expire and there was no automatic renewal. AUTO-RENEWAL IS A SCAM with no other reason than to extract money from the unwary. As such it is a blatant policy of reaching into the pockets of others without their approval, probably sanctioned by our current corrupt political environment.

This is objectively similar to the new Internet sales taxes on goods bought from out of state companies, like Amazon and Overstock. That was fought out in the SCOTUS and both lost under the pressure of brick and mortar stores unwilling to adapt to the new realities of a changing world. So the people lost, despite what the US Constitution says about taxing across state lines.

Funny thing about corruption in high places, the more corrupt it becomes, the more corrupt it becomes in a snowball effect that eventually causes an implosion as everything crumbles under the weight of lies and deceit.
If all else fail, always read the directions! And the fine prints too.
When you are installing smiley in these posting, take a look on the right side and click on the smiley of your choice. :lol:
Another way of doing it, if you saved some on your computer, we had this discussion else where in this site. We need another domain to do this with, like Photobucket but you need to be a member of that site, OR you could use Tinypic.com and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS and use the code from "message board" copy by using control key and C keys and move your mouse to the board that you are working on and paste it in there. :mrgreen:
Not so long ago, I was completely home-bound and the boredom was incredible. So, like many of us have done at one time or another while bored, I googled "free stuff and samples"...

I got more than a few results, most of them requiring you sign up for their newsletter and such. But I noticed that many of these sites were also advertising sweepstakes. I did a bit more research and ended up on a rather large website dedicated to teaching idiots like me the ins and outs of being a successful "sweeper". As a side note, yes, people do win. I've won some rather large prizes, including a new computer system (monitor and all), the lease of a brand new Lexus hybrid for a month, and more.

The first rule was RTFR (Read The Freakin' Rules!"). Rules can be complicated and it sucked trying to wade through and understanding them before entering. Was this sweepstakes an Unlimited Entry? Or just Daily? When did the sweepstake end? How many times a day or week (or even Month) could I enter? Long story short, if you didn't RTFR chances were good that you'd likely be automatically disqualified for not following the rules of that sweepstakes.

It was also important to watch carefully when accepting a newsletter subscription. Did I have to opt-in to be qualified? Could I opt-out before the sweeps ends without getting disqualified?

Most people just click through forms and EULA's (End User License Agreements) and all that legal mumble-jumble just to get to the end. And when they get auto-billed or a new toolbar suddenly appearing in their browser the following month they flip-out and cry "Foul Play!" - when if they had taken a few moments to RTFR, they would know exactly what they're getting into.

Last month a member here purchased a 1-month premium membership for me - just because I have helped her here. It wasn't necessary, it was just a very nice thing to do for me.

As the month was near end, I was aware of the auto-billing this site uses. I also knew that her credit card would be charged again if nothing was done. So I emailed Graham, explained the situation and he took care of switching things back to my card. Why? Because I had RTFR when I signed up.

Auto-billing is a way of life on the web. You can view it as a convenience or as just another way for them to make money off your laziness - you could have known when you signed up that they auto-bill.

I have found that 50plus is the best "Bang For The Buck" compared to the myriad of other dating sites that I have wasted my money on. Everything they do in regards to business has been fair, open and up-front. You seem to think that these sites are bilking you out of your money. I have never experienced ANY "bad business" on the behalf of 50plus. And if you are unhappy with your purchase, just say so - I am sure the admins will take care of it to your satisfaction.

So, if you're going to cry and whine and "Diss" this site because of it's business practices that were clearly outlined when you joined and accepted it's user agreement maybe you had better try going elsewhere and try to find better. Negativity is not the best way to meet new friends and form relationships. Just sayin' :)

As for me, I look forward to many more months of auto-billing, being a Premium member... and teasing Jessy. :D
Hmmm....I wonder if that broke the record for the longest reply to a post, LOL :)
I am beginning to wonder if these people think they should get everything for free even tho it is mention how this site work? I been on the net for a very long time, I do recall many internet user don't like to pay more than what they are being charged for, like "I already pay for my internet, so why should I pay more for stuff on the net". Those are the most common saying that I hear a lot in the last 20 years or so. When Bill Gates had msn chats it was free to chat and to use what they call pm back then "Whisper chat" and use their forum board and other stuff those sites had, and then all changed when he was being sued, so he sold his servers and other bought it and again the ruling of using the internet has changed and everyone expect it to be the same when Bill Gate was in charge, I guess they think milk from a cow is free?
stardaisy wrote: Another way of doing it, if you saved some on your computer, we had this discussion else where in this site. We need another domain to do this with, like Photobucket but you need to be a member of that site, OR you could use Tinypic.com and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS and use the code from "message board" copy by using control key and C keys and move your mouse to the board that you are working on and paste it in there. :mrgreen:

Actually, you don't need Photobucket or other "free" hosting services. You can just upload the pic(s) from your computer to your profile page,,,,in your gallery. Then just copy the image location from there (right-click>Copy Image Location).

So if you don't want to subscribe to these other free hosting services, just use 50plus!

And you can do this even if you're not a premium member :)
DaddyFish wrote: So, if you're going to cry and whine and "Diss" this site because of it's business practices that were clearly outlined when you joined and accepted it's user agreement maybe you had better try going elsewhere and try to find better. Negativity is not the best way to meet new friends and form relationships. Just sayin' :)

You really like to distort and put words into somebody else’s post. First of all, I haven't joined. I am a "free" member as I also am on other similar websites, attempting to find which gives me the best value for money spent.

All I said was that it didn’t use to be this way, and IMHO it is the way it is currently because ethics have been thrown out the window in favor of an end justifies the means grabbing for profit. (The newly conceived fine print again.)

It all started when “money” became counterfeit and drew into its midst every nefarious individual, company, corporation, etc., that had no scruples whatsoever on obtaining it, and gladly accepted the new paradigm as a way to rob millions of people.

Did you ever notice that when you buy some packaged items, that you’ve bought in the past that, provided you still have some left over, what you just bought now has less in the package? You may think that is SOP and unrelated to this discussion; I don’t. And it is part and parcel of the same effort to bring into being charges for things, like auto-renewals at dating websites, that didn’t exist previously. Don’t be surprised if the prices charged in your auto-renewals go up and you may only realize it upon looking at your credit card statement later after you’ve paid the bill. Is that “inflation”? No! It is the loss in value of your money. The term “inflation” was invented to scam you so you don’t realize it is not rising costs, intimated by the word inflation, but deteriorating currency valuations at work.

Now I can hear your response coming. “That is the world we live in. Get used to it and quit ...wining. Read the fine print”. The “wining” is an attempt to educate, which you appear to be opposed to. I don’t like sycophants, never did, never will. At my age I will state what I think and damn the cannonades in the memory of those who have died in all the recent wars for profit, scammed into thinking they were supporting liberty.

Don’t think that your attempt to define my views into a category that puts me into being isolated has any effect. To the contrary, eventually it will attract the right person(s) into my life, among many others, that will last into eternity if I spend sufficient time to find those veritable needles in a haystack. I already know these people exist, having communicated with them in the past, but perhaps not so much here. Obviously yours and my definition of friends is quite different.
One of the many reasons I love 50plus is that we can all express our views and opinions like mature adults and not have it turn into a 21st century Hatfield and McCoy's feud... and we don't have to be a Premium member to do so - it's free.

If we all agreed on everything... and we all had the same viewpoints on everything, it would be a terribly dull place. :)

Just ask Jessy, <snarl> :lol:
There are no free members.  There are "basic" and "premium" (to the best of my knowledge)......You joined as a basic member KentAllard....and you probably ticked the "agreement".  
Gotta love that fish, he keeps me laughing day in and day out.......and laughing is good for me (and you)