Graham1 wrote: Its different when a couple divorce than if they lived together as their rights are more determined :-

In the UK the starting point for dividing the assets in divorce are 50/50. However the financial settlement will usually be different in each case as it depends on the parties circumstances and their needs when it comes to deciding what they should each receive from the matrimonial assets.

If a cohabiting couple splits up, they do not have the same legal rights to property as a married couple. In general, unmarried couples can't claim ownership of each other's property in the event of a breakup. Gifts made during the relationship remain the property of the recipient.

Our laws were the same until they fix it, now if a married couple has children, that is a tough battle, hard on kids. No kids involved then it is simple... when they buy the house, it is in both names so it would be fair either way (marriage or common law), if one don't want to sell the house then that person has to provide the equal value of the home, if it is joint bank account then it is split 50/50, this why a couple has their own bank account so they won't loose their 50 % . They would loose their partner CCP, if they live common law they have to prove that they live common law to claim that decease CPP.

Child custody battle, there would be child support who ever don't have the kid/s. If there is no child support then that person who suppose to give child support will loose it's driver licence unless they go to court and have a mediator working with them.

This is why it is so important to find that MR. Right or Mrs.Right, as a divorce battle is a terrible ordeal for anyone, more so for the kid/s. Because you can get very angry kid/s. It is worst when that child is in their youth/teen years.
Graham1 wrote: A lady I used to work with a few years ago lived with the same man for many years and supported him most of that time as his work was intermittent but when they spilt up, as the house was in his name, she got nothing unless she could prove financial contributions to the upkeep of the property! (

Exactly as i have explained, Graham. Thanks for confirming this.
I didn't confirm, I contradicted you as you said it was the same position legally whether married or not! :?
Graham1 wrote: I didn't confirm, I contradicted you as you said it was the same position legally whether married or not! :?

You confirmed, Graham, and thanks. Recall I pointed out that, in either situation, married or otherwise, a court of law would adjudicate should one of the couple challenge the arrangements. :D
A married spouse has more legal rights than an unmarried partner. That was the point, so it is not the same for both. For married couples 50/50 is the norm unless there is a pre-nuptial agreement
I believe (maybe inaccurate) that in Arizona there is a thing called "common law marriage" thingy.. If I were to live w/someone for 10 yrs plus,, I am entitled to half ?
In Canada... it use to be 7 years then reduce to 5 years... and now they can do it sooner as long as you file income tax as a common law with the federal government Blackwidow... I don't know what the law is where you live, I guess you need to inquire about that there?
Remind me never to live with anyone outside of UK. :shock:

Here in the UK we get back what we can show we've put in. Even after 25yrs my house was just that....mine :lol:
Sara2101 wrote: Remind me never to live with anyone outside of UK. :shock:

Here in the UK we get back what we can show we've put in. Even after 25yrs my house was just that....mine :lol:

Exactly as it should be, Sara. Married couples, however, are not so well protected by the law, and a 50/50 share of assets is not always as anticipated, especially if one partner challenges the agreement. There are other caveats, too. It all depends on the contribution made to the union, and in this respect, both situations, marriage and co-habiting are treated equally.

Rod Stewart said of marriage: "Why get married? It's simpler to meet a pretty woman and give her a new house!"