I have Parking Anxiety Disorder. Where did I park my car? Often my mind is busy - elsewhere - so nobody really home. I parked somewhere in that lot. I could push the button on my fob and make my car squeal. But I have Noise Anxiety Disorder, too. I hate noise. Any more than a rabbit's feet on a carpeted floor...that annoys me. So I'm forced to walk around...pretending of course that I haven't lost it. Who but a dummy would lose their car? But they all look so much alike. That's because I really don't care about cars. They have never thrilled me. Certain things - sports, cars - bleah. Boring.

I believe I have Sports Anxiety Disorder too. Because regularly I'm forced to admit, no, I don't have those type of testicles, so wins this game? I don't care. Both teams could win or lose, for all I care. Am I not patriotic, to my city? Hell no.

So I guess maybe I have Don't Care Disorder (DCD) too. Like I give a sh** if the Jays win? Not likely. The list of known disorders will end up being so long...everyone will have at least one. Trust me on this.
Reply to myself. You forgot about Weird Sense of Humor Disorder (WSHD). That's a really nasty one. Fortunately I don't have that one. Or do I? Hmmm. I'm gonna stress about that now. Gosh...what if I have it?
Wow, more disorders to add to the list of mental illness. :lol:

How about spelling Anxiety disorder?
Stardaisy: good of you to mention it. Yes, some people have Spelling Anxiety Disorder...if they care that the words they write are in a dictionary. I have that disorder. I get wracked when I blow a sentence. But it's not that common. Relatively rare. Most people are...even three or four misspelled words in one sentence...so what? Like they will get a fine for that? Not likely.

But those same people have Don't Care Disorder. It's quite common actually. :-)
So.... all in all, it comes down to "I don't care" disorder?
No, it cannot all be summed up as Don't Care Disorder. That's merely one of a spectrum. For example. Suppose I see a picture that is hanging crooked on a wall, a few degrees off vertical. If one has Don't Care Disorder...hey...don't care. But if you have Lopsided Picture Disorder (LPD) - it bugs you when you see a framed photo or painting or poster that isn't hanging straight. The urge is to straighten it.

I dunno how many crooked pictures I've straightened, but quite a few. Every so often I see one that really bugs me. Like...are the rest of you all blind? Do you not see what I see? So...that's a whole different kettle of fish. That can start anxiety. Is it my eyes...my brain...or is that picture truly not hanging straight? And after a couple of Guinness...it becomes more difficult to assess. What's causing that? Is it lack of vertical-ness...or the brewing industry in Ireland? It's easy to get anxiety about it...because it's downright crazy to straighten a picture that isn't crooked.

Don't Care Disorder can have its downside. We are all expected to care about some things. It's considered a major faux pas socially, and extremely rude, to say, "I don't care your dad died. I never knew him." But...Don't Care Disorder (also known as Don't Care Syndrome) can actually cancel - or offset - some of the other (more serious) disorders.

Like in my case...Parking Anxiety Disorder. Dang...where is my car??? it seems to have gone missing. Was it stolen...or is it quietly sitting among many others, playing hide 'n' seek? (Heh heh, try to find me.) Mixed with Don't Care Disorder (which I also have)...it kinda evens out. So I lost my car for a while...so what? The anxiety soon fades.

It's important to balance your disorders, I'd say. Get the right mix. Then you don't feel disordered, even if you have a whole lot of them. Like...Hate Advertisements Disorder (HAD). I have that one too. I cannot hit the mute button fast enough when a TV ad comes on. But then Don't Care Disorder plays its happy role, once I've pressed that button. Ha ha, see if I care. Life is suddenly back to good.
Rod, just put a piece of flagging on your antenna so you can see your car at a distance. 

Considering that I have spent  ten years teaching people how to deal with anxiety and panic disorders with plenty of success I don't find this as funny as some might. But then I don't find sit coms funny either. Anxiety disorders can be cured but to those with them they are very debilitating. Fortunately we can see the humour others see even if it isn't ours. You will note that all fears and phobias fall under one umbrella heading, Agoraphobia, which is actually the fear of not having control in any give situation whether it be flying or having a spider in your space. Treat this fear and all other fears fall by the wayside. For those that are going to correct me. Agoraphobia is not a fear of the outdoors, that is just one of the symptoms of it. Anyone who seriously wants to cure agoraphobia can contact me. But only if you are seriously willing to put in the time. Please do not quote Dr Weekes to me either. I'm going to make some fans mad here. 
LOL, I don't drive so I don't have a car, the flag on that car is someone else, perhaps yours? :wink:

Who to say that I don't have anxiety disorder?
OnlyDavit wrote: Rod, just put a piece of flagging on your antenna so you can see your car at a distance. 

Considering that I have spent  ten years teaching people how to deal with anxiety and panic disorders with plenty of success I don't find this as funny as some might. But then I don't find sit coms funny either. Anxiety disorders can be cured but to those with them they are very debilitating. Fortunately we can see the humour others see even if it isn't ours. You will note that all fears and phobias fall under one umbrella heading, Agoraphobia, which is actually the fear of not having control in any give situation whether it be flying or having a spider in your space. Treat this fear and all other fears fall by the wayside. For those that are going to correct me. Agoraphobia is not a fear of the outdoors, that is just one of the symptoms of it. Anyone who seriously wants to cure agoraphobia can contact me. But only if you are seriously willing to put in the time. Please do not quote Dr Weekes to me either. I'm going to make some fans mad here. 

I know someone who has fear in just about everything, but I allow them to deal with it in their own ways and they do just fine. No one can help them with it, like paranoia schizophrenia, no matter what meds they are on, they still have that fear and you just have to go along with them and listen to what they say, you can't deal with them nor can you help them, well you can, if they need help in delivering something, or drive them somewhere, that kind of help you can do, but their fears, it a different story.

Now as for Agoraphobia, I don't have it, but I hate crowded space, I will go to anywhere public. This is were on line shopping or phone call shopping will comfort them and they don't have to go out of their comfort zone. They are hermit of our society.
OnlyDavit wrote: I don't find this as funny as some might.

I assure you that my posts on this thread are by no means an attempt to mock anyone with problems, either here or generally. I know there is reason to take the issue seriously. At the same time....

The shrink 'Bible' - the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, published by the American Psychiatric Association - has grown and grown over the past 60 years. More and more conditions have been added to it. It won't surprise me one bit if by the 7th edition, even belching and flatulence are in it...as mental disorders...if they aren't already.

I'm deeply suspicious of the psychiatric community. It's obvious to anyone who lives in a large city that there are people with mental problems. But that includes some shrinks. (I will defend that point below.) Some are baboons with label guns. Seems to me the favorite hobby of a psychiatrist is labeling. I'm also deeply suspicious of the pharmaceutical industry. And the collusion between the two groups. Some company comes up with a drug...then a disorder or illness is invented to fit it. That's about how bad it is today.

I have nothing against counsellors...and I'm sure you have helped people. But there is a general trend today toward defining as abnormal what may well be normal. We all have our quirks. Who doesn't? Who's to say what's normal and what isn't? A champion long-distance runner isn't normal, statistically. Likewise really bright people aren't. Anyone could be labelled 'abnormal' if they were studied intently enough.

Someone with a problem that's interfering with their life...okay, there's a problem. And bravo if you've helped people with problems. But there is a big dark (and indeed sinister) area in the field of psychiatry (which is different than psychology or counseling, I realize)...that I don't see how any psychiatrist could be proud of their rather horrid history, or excesses. And certainly it has its well-informed and expert critics.

We've all seen One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest...and what was done to a man simply because he was a live-wire. They destroyed him. Sad end to that film. To my mind...some of it still stinks of the treatment depicted in that film...some of it even reeks of Inquisitional attitudes - to this day. Certainly not in all, or a majority. But some.

Two examples, from personal experience. A psychiatrist who was really dumb; he couldn't have psychoanalyzed a hamster properly. I told him that to his face. Other staff quietly agreed with me. I guess Dr Demento developed some resentment, because I ended up being physically tortured, very illegally. Agony for a few days. (Yes that goes on.) Another put me in tremendous peril; a terrifying situation that could easily have cost me my life. Also very illegal. I did nothing to deserve any of that.

I didn't find any of that funny. So...axe to grind: yes. Chip on my shoulder: yes. But not against those who do their sincere best to help others. You and they deserve my respect.

Maybe you can see now why I prefer to bring humor to the subject. I've seen Hell. It's other people. (Jean Paul Sartre). Cheers.
OnlyDavit wrote: just put a piece of flagging on your antenna so you can see your car at a distance.

That would be too easy, man. I also have Prefer Difficult Disorder (PDD). That means given two choices - easy or difficult - I tend to go for difficult. (That's kind of the opposite of Lazy Ass Disorder.) :-)

Yeah, I know I could. Ribbon or balloon....old rag...a slinky pair of women's panties...something on my antenna to make it unique and different and stand out. But...too easy. And...I get more physical exercise looking for my car. Thanks for the suggestion, though. :-)
Rod___ wrote:
OnlyDavit wrote: I don't find this as funny as some might.

I assure you that my posts on this thread are by no means an attempt to mock anyone with problems, either here or generally. I know there is reason to take the issue seriously. At the same time....

The shrink 'Bible' - the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, published by the American Psychiatric Association - has grown and grown over the past 60 years. More and more conditions have been added to it. It won't surprise me one bit if by the 7th edition, even belching and flatulence are in it...as mental disorders...if they aren't already.

I'm deeply suspicious of the psychiatric community. It's obvious to anyone who lives in a large city that there are people with mental problems. But that includes some shrinks. (I will defend that point below.) Some are baboons with label guns. Seems to me the favorite hobby of a psychiatrist is labeling. I'm also deeply suspicious of the pharmaceutical industry. And the collusion between the two groups. Some company comes up with a drug...then a disorder or illness is invented to fit it. That's about how bad it is today.

I have nothing against counsellors...and I'm sure you have helped people. But there is a general trend today toward defining as abnormal what may well be normal. We all have our quirks. Who doesn't? Who's to say what's normal and what isn't? A champion long-distance runner isn't normal, statistically. Likewise really bright people aren't. Anyone could be labelled 'abnormal' if they were studied intently enough.

Someone with a problem that's interfering with their life...okay, there's a problem. And bravo if you've helped people with problems. But there is a big dark (and indeed sinister) area in the field of psychiatry (which is different than psychology or counseling, I realize)...that I don't see how any psychiatrist could be proud of their rather horrid history, or excesses. And certainly it has its well-informed and expert critics.

We've all seen One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest...and what was done to a man simply because he was a live-wire. They destroyed him. Sad end to that film. To my mind...some of it still stinks of the treatment depicted in that film...some of it even reeks of Inquisitional attitudes - to this day. Certainly not in all, or a majority. But some.

Two examples, from personal experience. A psychiatrist who was really dumb; he couldn't have psychoanalyzed a hamster properly. I told him that to his face. Other staff quietly agreed with me. I guess Dr Demento developed some resentment, because I ended up being physically tortured, very illegally. Agony for a few days. (Yes that goes on.) Another put me in tremendous peril; a terrifying situation that could easily have cost me my life. Also very illegal. I did nothing to deserve any of that.

I didn't find any of that funny. So...axe to grind: yes. Chip on my shoulder: yes. But not against those who do their sincere best to help others. You and they deserve my respect.

Maybe you can see now why I prefer to bring humor to the subject. I've seen Hell. It's other people. (Jean Paul Sartre). Cheers.

agree, as they study something so complex as the brain, the more they study, the more they label something, and this is by observing human behavior as well as scanning the brain. There are getting more and more people with different mental disorder. Thus is why here in Alberta we have mental illness awareness for two weeks in May. Mental illness can be cause by several factor, one is stress, hereditary, enviroment and so on.

Something that has been tried was, to teach them a bit of humor in their life to ease some tension, as it also has to be explain to them to see the humor, some don't always get it and some do once they understand by explanation. I have a friend that has serious mental disorder and it comes with fear, once we teach her about it and use a little humor, the stress ease off and then we all laugh, it make life more easier (for some anyways).
Rod, I am truly sorry to read about all your worrying disorders. It must be so difficult for you (I know as I have a few myself :lol: ). Of more concern though; are they contagious? Maybe you should be kept in isolation or at the very least under house arrest..... Me too come to that :lol:
Maybe I could add a further one? Tired of ridiculous disorders disorder! :lol:
LOL G, have you got that one too? :lol: