I am new to the site but one of the hardest things for me is to find recipes for one person and also to cook a small amount so as not to have tons of left overs although I do like then , just not 4 or 5 days worth.  Any ideas and thoughts will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
keep in touch, I am putting a online cookbook together, and looking for ideas and recipe 
I found my best investment was in a deep freezer so I could whip up a batch of my favourite recipes, freeze single portions that I could then use over the next couple of months.  Another useful tip is to freeze up "dinner plates" - nothing like a home made "frozen dinner!
Muffin meals. You can cook a dozen, freeze what you don't want and then when you want something quick, just pull it out of the freezer and heat. There are dozens of sites now offering free recipes for everything from mac and cheese to meatloaf to quiche to desserts. I do it quite often and it's perfect for my 90-year-old mother.

Here's one example:

http://www.recipebyphoto.com/24-awesome ... n-recipes/ 
thanks for all your ideas, most of these I have tried. I have a freezer and use it for many food. 
I am in a business, of providing a hot breakfast for 2  - 4 persons. Generally I am not able to serve frozen food to my guest, I bake from fresh for the table,recipes are sometimes , to large, in general . (to many left overs) that I can't eat, or use.
I have only lately had to do this...
So here are some of the things I do...

-  The first thing I did was  buy lots of small containers for freezing the little stuff.
-  Buy the 2 x 2ltre milk that is usually cheap somewhere and split it up,freeze most of it .
-  Cook normal amounts of everything and freeze what I don't use, like rice
-  I bought a long time ago a micro/convection oven which saves heaps on electricity
   (since my son left I've got my power bill down from$160 to $45 a month) 
-  Buy big block of cheese, grate it and pack in ziptop bags for the freezer
   (same with diced onions)
-  Separate all meats into individual servings before freezing  
-  Lastly grow herbs/mixed lettuce in the kitchen and vegies and strawberries in those big floppy    buckets on the deck,beans/capsicans/silverbeet/tomatoes/spring onions at the moment

So I guess I'm saying I still cook  as I would have normally done,but freeze or use the extra the next day. It's more about cleverly still getting the cheaper stuff you have to buy in larger quantities and storing it quickly,so you don't waste it.
Ok here's one recipe,might sound strange to some, but lovely

South Sea Omelet

how ever many eggs you want  and for each one add
about a tbsp of coconut cream 
a good slurp of sweet chilli sauce
seasoning (I use sea salt and lemon pepper) 
spring onions (scallions to you others)

cook as you would normally make a nice light just cooked omelet 
spinach "burgers"
Prep time 5 mins Cook time 5 mins Total time 10 mins Author: Michelle Keith/ The Village Cook

Ingredients 1 bag of thawed and well drained chopped spinach
2 egg whites
 1 whole egg
¼ c diced onion
½ c shredded cheese
½ c bread crumbs
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp salt
 ½ tsp garlic powder

Instructions Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Shape into patties and cook over medium high heat in a non stick skillet with a small amount of cooking spray. Patties are done when they are golden and firm. (About 4-6 minutes ) 

I'm going to try these as I love spinach... 
And here's another....

Spinach Balls

Ingredients

2 (10 oz.) packages frozen spinach, thawed & well-drained
 2 small onions, very finely chopped (I use a food processor)
2 1/4 c stuffing with herbs
6 eggs, beaten
1/2 c. melted butter
 1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
 2 tsp. garlic salt
 1 tsp. black pepper

Directions 1. Mix all ingredients until well combined. Form into about 1" balls; place on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. 2. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Makes approximately 60 balls. NOTES: Spinach balls may be frozen, either baked or unbaked. (I always freeze mine pre-baked.) For pre-baked balls: Remove from freezer about 30 minutes prior to reheating. Reheat in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes. For unbaked balls: Remove from freezer 30 minutes before cooking. Bake as directed (350 for 20 minutes). Enjoy!

Read more at http://www.thekitchenismyplayground.com ... 7/spinach-
balls.html#szB0x5bpy3etoR3a.99 
I do much the same as Jaffa. Never cook for one, it doesn't take any longer to cook for four or more. I can't eat much 'dry' food, need a sauce or gravy so eat lots of casseroles etc. and freeze single portions in small containers. Later, usually transfer these portions to larger freezer bags to take up less room and free up the containers. I ofter use a slow cooker, just toss everything in, can't be bothered to sauté or pre heat, can't see the point :) If I make a sauce or gravy, I always make more than I need and freeze separate portions to use with dryer foods later. I also buy large containers of milk and split to freeze. I tend to buy in bulk a bit as I am not close to many shops and I open freeze some items on trays (mainly meat or fish) and then put into freezer bags so that they don't stick together.
On days I don't feel well enough or don't have time to cook, there is always something to hand in the freezer.
I couldn't be without my freezer, slow cooker or microwave convection oven.
I made the spinach burgers but with well cooked kale because It was all I could find in the freezer. They were very good. I don't have a non stick pan so ended up doing them one at a time in the microwave for four minutes on high. And yes I ate all four.