What is a Romance Scam?
 How The Scams Work Scammers are on dating sites, and social networks setting up fake profiles. Scammers will pose under the disguise of beautiful pictures as either male or female claiming to be from the United States. The scammer weaves a story of a successful business person working over seas, having no family; they present themselves as a thoughtful, caring and loving individual who is looking for their soul mate. The scammers are good at what they do; they ask lots of questions of the victim regarding what they want in their lives. The scammer then takes the information and turns it into a dream that becomes a reality to the victim. They use words we all like to hear to woo our hearts so they can burn our souls. They use psychology to hold you in their spell. Once they have established a relationship then the scamming begins. In all cases the plea for Financial assistance is the key to the scam. This can be for assistance in cashing a check that they are unable to cash themselves and also asking for financial assistance to help them out of a difficulty they are having. They have landed in a hotel and now cannot pay the bill so the hotel is holding all their papers so they cannot leave. They are desperate to come to you but need your help with the money to manage that. They were mugged and are in the hospital and need you to pay their hospital bill as they are being held hostage until it is paid. Read More After being scammed you are put on a “contact” list by the scammers. You will be receiving random instant messages and emails from people you do not know. These are scammers trying to scam you again. Please tell them you know they are scammer and block them. You will know within 5 minutes if it’s a scammer by looking at the profile, how they write/speak, their picture, they state they live in Nigeria, they confess their love in the first meeting, they claim God brought you to them etc. After you keep blocking them, they will stop and you will be placed on a “NO” contact list .

source:
http://www.romancescams.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 
When Contact is First Made
 They immediately want to get off the web site and onto Yahoo IM or MSN IM
 Their profile seems to disappear off the web site immediately after conversation begins
 They claim it was destiny or fate and you are meant to be together
 They immediately ask for your picture and they send you a picture of themselves
 They immediately want your address so as to send you flowers, candy, and teddy bears, often  purchased with stolen credit cards
 They claim to love you either immediately or within 24-48 hours
 They immediately start using pet names with you: hon/hun baby/babe sweety/sweetie
 They claim God brought you to him/her
 They typically claim to be from the US (or your local region) but they are overseas, or going overseas mainly to Nigeria, sometimes the UK for business or family matters

RED FLAGS:
Communication Skills
 Their spelling is atrocious
 Their grammar is not consistent with how Americans speak, French speak etc.
 They appear uneducated with their speaking/writing skills
 They over-use emotions
 They are notorious for using BUZZ They are notorious for using “i” instead of “I”
 They consistently use web speak or abbreviations; u r ur cos pls/plz ma sry brb div
 They often mix up their phrases: “i” will like to heer from you soonest, I am kool, Do you have any man you care to meet, Do you have any man you planning to meet, Looking for someone to love and care for in life, Am cheerfull in life, I will like to meet someone that is careing and loveing for real in life, “i” am too young for my age if you don’t know, Ok so how will you feel if i says i dont mind you, i will like you to be my best friend, You are so pretty for my likeness
 They misunderstand our slang or comparisons such as night owl/early bird, poker face 
Hi I guess some of us arent so lucky with these scamers.. how can they sleep at nite...
There is a company from England i am told that hires these guys/girls to do this ,.. It is a big racket
Yes, I've been aware of them especially if they say they are from Africa and recently moved to the states. Some say they are widowed. Some are pretending to be in the army/navy. That's very sad, immitating someone who works hard for our country and give them a bad name.
Scammers online,,,you bet. These men are everywhere. Here are some ways to know this kind. Yes, they immediately, want to hook-up with you,(to chat), on ymessenger. They like to talk about themselves,,,alot. Most of them state they are widowers, (and they lost their partners by either cancer, or horrific auto accident). They also say the same things about their parents/siblings. By their first, or second, communication with you, they will tell you that they have endless love for a wonderful women, like you. They also will tell you that they are new to the social websites, and now that they have found, YOU, they have discontinued all their memberships on social sites. IF they post photos, they are never pictures with others in them. (Most photos are done professionally, stolen, and NEVER the person you are chatting with). And yes, like all the females on this site say, most are either in construction, engineers, or land surveyors. They all say they have homes in the USA, but are now working,,usually somewhere in Africa. Well, obviously, I have been there,,done that,,,just want to warn others. Good luck.
i WOULD add NEVER accept a so call relationship long distance. You cannot really know a person until you meet them and see them OFTEN. You can hide a lot behind the puter long distance and even talking on the phone. Really how whack and how desperate.
Kashakurlee wrote: Scammers online,,,you bet. These men are everywhere. Here are some ways to know this kind. Yes, they immediately, want to hook-up with you,(to chat), on ymessenger. They like to talk about themselves,,,alot. Most of them state they are widowers, (and they lost their partners by either cancer, or horrific auto accident). They also say the same things about their parents/siblings. By their first, or second, communication with you, they will tell you that they have endless love for a wonderful women, like you. They also will tell you that they are new to the social websites, and now that they have found, YOU, they have discontinued all their memberships on social sites. IF they post photos, they are never pictures with others in them. (Most photos are done professionally, stolen, and NEVER the person you are chatting with). And yes, like all the females on this site say, most are either in construction, engineers, or land surveyors. They all say they have homes in the USA, but are now working,,usually somewhere in Africa. Well, obviously, I have been there,,done that,,,just want to warn others. Good luck.

We take scammers very seriously in the 50 plus club and check all new profiles daily. Most scammers are removed witin hours of signing up but if any get through our checks, we rely on members to let us know by reporting them.
Been there done that, but thankfully my common sense kicked in and I listened to my gut feelings.  In my case, I believe I was communicating with two different people using the same profile as the writing style would change.  There were other tip offs as well.  It was an "interesting" experience LOL
One other clue: When you reply to one of their long drawn out emails of "love" their next reply does not even address anything that you have said in your message. It is as if they didn't even read it. What they are doing is a string of mass emails to multiple women in a certain order. They don't care what you say in your emails until they get the one that responds to their request for money. If you are consistently saying "absolutely not, no way, not going to happen" they will drop you, all their love for you disappears and you'll never hear from them again. Consider yourself lucky and pat yourself on the back.
 Just try selling a few things like cars or motorcycles  on the internet they ,the scammers come out in droves. I always  look for extraordinary poor command of the english language.for starters  the rest tends to follow....as to Romance Scams,my fav. from a senior chat room that shall remain nameless.. went something like this ...i sawr yoor pikture and you special  fein man an  i love you etc(from somewhere on the ivory coast.).. :roll: :lol:
Dear Anybody who will listen I have been almost scammed a few times so now i have a policy of getting any contacts to phone me on a uk landlines no mobiles and no Skype.if I cannot talk to them I will delete immediately and the are not very intelligent as they say they are from different countries well I have lived in Europe (Germany) for 30 yrs and I have been show a photo of someones car but the number plate was wrong and I got an address so i sent a postcard it was returned address unknown. So trust your instincts as you will be always right.
Glamazon1 wrote: RED FLAGS:
Communication Skills
 Their spelling is atrocious
 Their grammar is not consistent with how Americans speak, French speak etc.
 They appear uneducated with their speaking/writing skills
 They over-use emotions
 They are notorious for using BUZZ They are notorious for using “i” instead of “I”
 They consistently use web speak or abbreviations; u r ur cos pls/plz ma sry brb div
 They often mix up their phrases: “i” will like to heer from you soonest, I am kool, Do you have any man you care to meet, Do you have any man you planning to meet, Looking for someone to love and care for in life, Am cheerfull in life, I will like to meet someone that is careing and loveing for real in life, “i” am too young for my age if you don’t know, Ok so how will you feel if i says i dont mind you, i will like you to be my best friend, You are so pretty for my likeness
 They misunderstand our slang or comparisons such as night owl/early bird, poker face 

I worked/helper with someone who had contacts with the FBI and they were telling me how so many women are taken by scammers. More women then men get scammed. They were even getting help from us as to say who was the scammers and they still didn't want to believe us that they were scammers. Some women were taken for $10,000.00 and still don't learn their lessons. I just think women just don't want to hear that this person is a scammer, they say in their mind...no this guy loves me....yes he loves you alright....it's your wallet he loves. If they are looking for money....that should be the red flag....no man should be asking you for money, he doesn't know you, you never met him and you just have to block them....get rid of them or else you will never have any peace of mind. Scammers don't have any conscience....and as for them sleeping well at night because they don't care they won't have any problems sleeping. I really thank you for sharing this and I hope members here will come to your comments and read and pick up some advice....scammers are like cockroaches they are pests.