The death rate in Canada could fall by as many as 37,000 deaths each year, or by 16 per cent, if Canadians simply increased their daily intake of vitamin D, according to a new study.

This finding supports an already impressive body of research on the many health benefits of the sunshine vitamin. Vitamin D, long known to help prevent osteoporosis and tuberculosis, has also been linked to a myriad of other health benefits including reduced risk of cancer, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, depression and heart disease.

Currently only 10 per cent of Canadians between ages six to 79 are at, or above, the optimal vitamin D level, according to Statistics Canada. Five per cent are considered severely deficient.

Because of the country's northern latitudes, Canadians can't produce vitamin D naturally from the sun for four to six months of the year. Because of this, many vitamin D experts recommend taking supplements and whenever possible, sensible sun exposure.

Vitamin D is available over the counter in 1,000 IU pills or drops. The only natural foods containing Vitamin D are egg yolk, liver and fatty fish, such as salmon, tuna, mackerel and sardines. It is also found in fortified foods such as some cereals and beverages such as milk, margarine and soy milk.

So...don't forget laughter and sunshine.
thank you for the info on vit D, you use humor as your name, very interesting choise.
I a with you sharing laughter and sunshine, cheers
the Vitamin D will ONLY be any good IF you take the right kind

there are two forms - one very cheap and usually found in cheaper vitamins

the ONLY form that is absorbed by the body effectively is D3

Check your bottles when buying it - it HAS to say the 3

Gerry
I was told to take D3 along with calcium. Often Vit D is sold and they don't specify D3. Yes its an important supplement especially in our climate in Canada. :roll:
Hi Everyone--

Indeed, Vitamin D3 is the dundamental ingredient people in nordic climates must ingest in megadoses of 1000 IU to3000 IU/day. Jamieson Vitamins offers Vitamin D (= D3) in a variety of formulations: 1000, 400, 200 IU. Nordic dwellers must start with minimum 1000 IU/day. Note! Megadoses of over 3-4000 IU/day over extended periods can cause toxicity and calcification of the blood vessels.

From personal experience, Vit D WORKS! Until recently, I , who live in Calgary, AB, Canada, was severely deficient in D3, with resultant huge impacts on my health and sleep. A daily dose of Jamieson 2600 IU/day fixed all that. ...

With wishes for good health to Everyone,
Ellie
Sadly I don't live in Canada where my daughter now lives with her family, but I do live in Scotland, and I agree with Vitamin D being very important. I suffer from Multiple sclorosis and have for 20 years. Only when it was too late for me did it emerge that taking Vit D might have saved me from this dreadful illness. We have very poor light for most of the year here on the West Coast of Scotland. Although it is a beautiful place to live when the sun shines, for most of the year it is very gray and dull, because of the cloud cover that we have. 
Cathybat 
Guest wrote: The death rate in Canada could fall by as many as 37,000 deaths each year, or by 16 per cent, if Canadians simply increased their daily intake of vitamin D, according to a new study.

This finding supports an already impressive body of research on the many health benefits of the sunshine vitamin. Vitamin D, long known to help prevent osteoporosis and tuberculosis, has also been linked to a myriad of other health benefits including reduced risk of cancer, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, depression and heart disease.

Currently only 10 per cent of Canadians between ages six to 79 are at, or above, the optimal vitamin D level, according to Statistics Canada. Five per cent are considered severely deficient.

Because of the country's northern latitudes, Canadians can't produce vitamin D naturally from the sun for four to six months of the year. Because of this, many vitamin D experts recommend taking supplements and whenever possible, sensible sun exposure.

Vitamin D is available over the counter in 1,000 IU pills or drops. The only natural foods containing Vitamin D are egg yolk, liver and fatty fish, such as salmon, tuna, mackerel and sardines. It is also found in fortified foods such as some cereals and beverages such as milk, margarine and soy milk.

So...don't forget laughter and sunshine.


Just a reminder to all, based on my current research, make sure that Vitamin D is actually D3 only, with 4,000 mg. minimum per day. Many today are taking 8,000 mg. each day. I am on 4,000 mg./daily.
Guest wrote: the Vitamin D will ONLY be any good IF you take the right kind

there are two forms - one very cheap and usually found in cheaper vitamins

the ONLY form that is absorbed by the body effectively is D3

Check your bottles when buying it - it HAS to say the 3

Gerry



I totally agree with you, Gerry! And a minimum of 4,000 iu Vitamin D3 daily, which is what I take.

And if it is not D3, and it is only D, and cheaper versions at that, then I call these cheap versions floor-sweepings. If you are serious about investing in your health - and who in their right mind isn't - then go for the quality products, and not the floor-sweepings.
  Vitamin D toxicity  -  Is this possible with higher dosage than 1000 IU?
Also, should the dosage be reduced in the summer time?
Very informative, thank you for that, I live in Toronto Canada and 3 months of winter can play havoc on your Vitamin D

Ellie149 wrote: Hi Everyone--

Indeed, Vitamin D3 is the dundamental ingredient people in nordic climates must ingest in megadoses of 1000 IU to3000 IU/day. Jamieson Vitamins offers Vitamin D (= D3) in a variety of formulations: 1000, 400, 200 IU. Nordic dwellers must start with minimum 1000 IU/day. Note! Megadoses of over 3-4000 IU/day over extended periods can cause toxicity and calcification of the blood vessels.

From personal experience, Vit D WORKS! Until recently, I , who live in Calgary, AB, Canada, was severely deficient in D3, with resultant huge impacts on my health and sleep. A daily dose of Jamieson 2600 IU/day fixed all that. ...

With wishes for good health to Everyone,
Ellie
For anyone in Ontario that needs VitaminD labwork now must have specific issues to be covered. If one doesn't have "THOSE ISSUES", you must now pay for the labwork yourself.

I have 2 of the issues listed so I don 't have to pay thank goodness.

I have hypocalcemia and kidney disease.
I have not heard about high doses of vitamin D causing calcification of anything. The best way of getting vitamin D is by sitting in the hot sun for half an hour and that will top you up with 10,000 iu - I don't think people in hot countries have more calcification of anything as a result.

5-10,000 units will not cause any problems. I find that it really helps with my seasonal affect disorder (aka winter blues)
cron