It's always interesting to read about words used in different country's that have a different meaning.

A example would be as simple as the Loo which as I understand it is the toilet .
here we call it washroom, When I was in London, England, I ask the waitress what time it was, she pointed me to where the "WaterCloset" imagine my thought of a water in a closet like clothes, so I was afraid to open it.. turn out to be a washroom like here....So tell me how she got time out of waterclose? :shock:

Just had to share this story :wink:

Anno = I know
ah.. the wonderful English language..

I asked the maid, in dulcet tone, to order me a buttered scone, but now the silly girl has gone and ordered me a buttered scone. (RIP Alan Coren)

I tend to use funetix, too, for i.e.

ano = I know
anat = and that
analat = and all that
Also sometimes wonderfully referred to as The Bog but never by me I hasten to add!!!
Yorkmoor wrote: Also sometimes wonderfully referred to as The Bog but never by me I hasten to add!!!

The Khazi.. Dropping the kids off at the pool... :lol:
Another one is the bread roll. Some refer to it as a cob, others call it a bap, a barmcake or a barm. It's a regional thing. :lol:
I remember first time I was in the south of England and tried to order a cake butty at local chippy. Confused the hell out of them. :lol:
Sara2101 wrote: I remember first time I was in the south of England and tried to order a cake butty at local chippy. Confused the hell out of them. :lol:

A cake sandwich? You northerners!! Think you must mean a chip butty?
Close fishcake butty or rissole sandwich if your from the south
Sara2101 wrote: Close fishcake butty or rissole sandwich if your from the south

I'm not a Shandy drinking Southerner. Chip or crisps butty will do me, both with ketchup.
Tripe = nonsense or rubbish
And also the disgusting stomach of a cow, which some people actually eat. :shock:
Sara2101 wrote: And also the disgusting stomach of a cow, which some people actually eat. :shock:

Some eat much more disgusting things. Such as Marmite and such as Beetroot.
On a lighter note, some nice things to eat...

* Maltloaf
* Clementines
* Beans on Toast
* Chicken Balti
* (the above with naan and pilau rice)
Hello everyone, just joined last night and this is my first post!
Can we go even further north (being a scot) and we have the good old cludgie - old fashioned slang name for toilet - not the nicest sounding word! And up here, in parts of Scotland, if we want a jam sandwich then we sometimes just call it a 'piece n jam', or a 'jam piece', yep, confusing but our different languages and slang etc: is a great talking point and ice breaker at times :D