I often find it amusing to see both men and women write ads or profiles which include statements like "will love you forever", or "have a good heart". While I am sure they have the best of intentions often, please note that neither statement can actually be backed up. What do I mean? There are conditions which each side brings to a relationship. Let me offer this example. If you go to Las Vegas you can often see a pairing of a young, gorgeous woman on the arm of a much older man. Many people at this point would be offering viewpoints and comments like "oh that is so disgusting" or "he is old enough to be her father", etc. What is often overlooked is that both have conditions which they came into the relationship, as adults, which SATISFY both of them. Allow me to explain. The gorgeous piece of arm candy is no doubt enjoying a life of leisure and financial "stability" (at least for the time she is with this man) which allows her to probably enjoy shopping and travel and fun times which she normally might not encounter with the usual "Joe". The older man of course is probably enjoying the fact that he has the envy of many a man by having he woman be in his company. Whether it gets to be a sexual thing is beyond this point. Just alone on the fact that having a super beautiful and YOUNGER woman strokes a majority of men's egos. He is SATISFIED and so is she with the "terms of the relationship". Now lets look at the situation in another way. Did they both get what they wanted? Probably to a large degree yes because they are with each other. When men and women place ads or profiles, a lot of the time they miss the point they need to include something with "a track record". How many women enjoy a man who loses his job or has no job continuously and is not financially secure enough to do so. How many men would consider a woman with a criminal record an arm's length long to be in his life if he expects the relationship to be "stable". These are important points whether they be man or woman. Track record includes financial stability, job stability, lack of having a police record, having had some successful number of years in a relationship (if someone has a breakup every 3 months guess what if you end up dating him?). We both have something to bring to the table, but a "good heart" is not really giving anyone anything which he/she can grab on to. ANYONE can say they have a good heart. Healthwise that counts, especially the older you get :) Hoping this makes some people think that poetic phrases and promises which have no track record have little value in setting up a description of who you are and what YOU bring to the table.
How can anyone bring anything to the table from a profile description? Its just a description of words that someone tries  to write out about themselves, more difficult for some than others..some don't write at all!
Best of luck to you. 
     I asked my psychologist, my psychiatrist, my probation officer, my loanshark and my priest to each write a brief paragraph of what I might bring to the table and will post the replies henceforth when I receive them.  Oddly enough, I didn't notice any of them smile when I asked although the loanshark looked at me like I had suddenly grown 3 antennae.
And i always thought what you bring to the table is FOOD. Indeed who wants to eat bad food? Its gotta be enticing, colorful, delicious, dare i say nutritious FOOD GLORIOUS FOOD. Okay enough with the metaphorics! The profile, in my opinion, is a very revealing aspect about any person's essential character. So when someone says "I will love you till the cows come home" (or words to that effect) could either be a philandering rancher or someone who really believes in these words. Even those that write very little are revealing something about their character, by that very fact. I would like to think that what i bring to the table is humor, honesty, and that whole feeling of "life's getting way too short now, let's just have fun!" :lol: :P :D :wink:

What do you bring to the Table? It depends on what does he or she expect on the table? Also whether does he or she is able to put on the table the most expected item.
People may have all the expectations they want but they don't normally get them. This is not a question of what you want, but what you have to offer in a relationship. I notice a lot of first time meetings people operate much like having a list of expectations or "deal breakers" they keep track of...while you should have fun just getting to know the person, just like any good negotiation, you should know when you feel the deal just isn't going to benefit you. Plus, yes food is good to bring to the table.....make mine enchiladas.
RICK5287 wrote: I often find it amusing to see both men and women write ads or profiles which include statements like "will love you forever", or "have a good heart". While I am sure they have the best of intentions often, please note that neither statement can actually be backed up. What do I mean? There are conditions which each side brings to a relationship. Let me offer this example. If you go to Las Vegas you can often see a pairing of a young, gorgeous woman on the arm of a much older man. Many people at this point would be offering viewpoints and comments like "oh that is so disgusting" or "he is old enough to be her father", etc. What is often overlooked is that both have conditions which they came into the relationship, as adults, which SATISFY both of them. Allow me to explain. The gorgeous piece of arm candy is no doubt enjoying a life of leisure and financial "stability" (at least for the time she is with this man) which allows her to probably enjoy shopping and travel and fun times which she normally might not encounter with the usual "Joe". The older man of course is probably enjoying the fact that he has the envy of many a man by having he woman be in his company. Whether it gets to be a sexual thing is beyond this point. Just alone on the fact that having a super beautiful and YOUNGER woman strokes a majority of men's egos. He is SATISFIED and so is she with the "terms of the relationship". Now lets look at the situation in another way. Did they both get what they wanted? Probably to a large degree yes because they are with each other. When men and women place ads or profiles, a lot of the time they miss the point they need to include something with "a track record". How many women enjoy a man who loses his job or has no job continuously and is not financially secure enough to do so. How many men would consider a woman with a criminal record an arm's length long to be in his life if he expects the relationship to be "stable". These are important points whether they be man or woman. Track record includes financial stability, job stability, lack of having a police record, having had some successful number of years in a relationship (if someone has a breakup every 3 months guess what if you end up dating him?). We both have something to bring to the table, but a "good heart" is not really giving anyone anything which he/she can grab on to. ANYONE can say they have a good heart. Healthwise that counts, especially the older you get :) Hoping this makes some people think that poetic phrases and promises which have no track record have little value in setting up a description of who you are and what YOU bring to the table.

hey Rick 5287...the last couple of sentences would have served you better.
So Rick..............after reading through your two posts I don't see where you offered us curious minds as to what you bring to the table..........care to share?   :lol:
I would tell you what I bring to the table but I would have to kill you..no wait, that's an old movie pick up line. Of course I would share that with someone I care to have a relationship with. 
What DO you bring to the table, Rick?

Hopefully, your wallet! :lol:
A smart man with good intent will always pay for dinner unless the lady is treating!
I think the first thing to do is to step back from the table and do an honest assessment of yourself.
We all have an idea of what we would like to be and maybe even some goals as to how to achieve our new self. Look for the patterns that drag us back from achieving true change, we all have our little traditions that hold us back and set us up for repeating some of the same old mistakes.
Come back to the table with an honest assessment,share that assessment and your dreams for a new self, you never know, you might just meet the right person, willing to work together to achieve all you both can be.  
If one brings their honest lovable self and the other brings theirs...what is on the table is the joining of these two.
Bring to the table.  wow.  This line was said to me a few months ago and it really made me think.  In fact, it has me avoiding dating at all for now.  Three years ago I was diagnosed with stage 4 non hodgkins lymphoma.  It cost me all of my rsp's, my business, my apartment and all the furnishings in it.  Prior to marriage I  had a successful career and was driven, as a legal secretary.  I stayed home for 19 years to raise my children and then went back to college but have never really been able to get back a career.  I've made enough to support myself but not enough to take trips and buy another house, etc. I have no pension, no health benefits.  
So, I am healthy.  I just  had yet another six month check up and am amazing. That's another story. A miracle that I am so healthy but I'm a Reiki Master and attribute some of my health now to that. However, I gave away everything.  Except for photos and pictures my children had made when they were little.  I dropped 35 lbs during cancer and gave away my clothing. I was dying.  But hell. I didn't lol.  Here I am now working as a full time condo housekeeper.  It's fine.  I'm tired at the end of the day but I work hard and I'm alive.  Dating however is.. not possible.  Trying to explain to anyone why I'm living in a tiny bachelor apartment and working as a housekeeper is difficult.  If you met me you'd understand. I'm bright, attractive (in an old bag kinda way) lol.. and vibrant.  I'm optimistic and charming and outgoing and energetic!  But alone.  
I believe in the Law of Attraction and want more in my life than this way. Struggling, barely making it etc.  I was asked what did I bring to the table and felt so inadequate that I went into shock. When I was young (when we were young), it was not a question that was ever asked.  It was mostly about chemistry, what we would do for fun, how we would get along.  Now it's all about what we have. I understand it from a man's point of view.  I don't want to be someone's burden.  But I am in this situation in part because I, a woman, took on the role of primary care giver to my children.  I sacrificed my career so that I could raise my children, thinking that my marriage would survive and that I was part of a team.  It didn't work out and so I have "nothing" to bring to the table.
Although... I am an excellent housekeeper!!! I enjoy it.  I am also a massage therapist (but not RMT) and have a healing touch (with both Reiki and Therapeutic Touch).  I am a nurturing woman. I am colourful as hell but most men will never find out because my lack of stuff and my health history (note the word history) is daunting.  
A few weeks ago I volunteered as a stage manager at a music week.  I have a son who is a rockstar and another who has a band and is an actor and works in film and tv.  I have an incredible, gifted daughter and amazing siblings.  I am so fortunate in so many ways.  I even have a cat that keeps me warm and makes me laugh.
I do not have a lover (oh yes, I know I could..) because I want more.  If I am daunting because of my stuff or lack of it.. then carry on.  I will just date myself. :)

silverware?